• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDi North's 2010 Time Attack Challenger

Thought it was time I mentioned our 2010 plans on here - no secret, but we just haven't had much time.
With Paul 'TP' West taking over as MD of TDi North, Paul didn't feel that he had the time to commit to defending his 2009 FI FWD Championship win.

I've bought Scott Whitelaw's old 1/4 mile shell and have transferred the running gear over from Baby ROTREX. We've rebuilt the engine and are getting ready to run this weekend.

So who's driving, well I've been spared! Or rather the other TA competitors have been :eek:

Last year both Paul and I were very impressed by the driving of forum member Dave T - he did astonishing work punching way above his weight with an NA car and frequently kept us honest. He's going to have to take a big step up on Saturday morning when he trades in 230 BHP for 500 for the first time in a new car that won't have turned a wheel on track or indeed anything else other than a rolling road.

I'm sure we will have fun and I hope Dave enjoys the experience - I know he will good account of himself.

Meantime here's a few snaps I took of the car tonight.
DSC00429r.JPG

DSC00432r.JPG

DSC00433r.JPG

Of course as you know I am a softy, may I present

DSC00430r.JPG

Lots of work to do over the next two days.

Seano

Attachments

• DSC00429r..JPG
    DSC00429r..JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00432r..JPG
    DSC00432r..JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00433r..JPG
    DSC00433r..JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00430r..JPG
    DSC00430r..JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good mate!:cool:

I think mine is complete & ready to go.

Might see you down @ Oulton in the morning if you are going down for scrutineering?

We are nowhere near.... yet.

But I faith in TDi. No brakes*, engine not run in, not mapped, not set-up and a myriad of little things to do seats, harnesses, fire extinguisher.

Pah trivial!

Seano

* well we have a puddle of brake fluid and a broken flaring tool.

Good luck everyone and hope to see some of you guys soon. Have fun out there and keep it on the black stuff !!

Superb day and massive well done to Dave and Julian. Some very impressive driving.

Can't believe I actually saw Dave get both back wheels off the ground under hard braking! Think we have a few stability issues under heavy braking! :)
Massive well done to Neil, Lou and Ben though to transform a pile of bits into a championship contender in a couple of days as well as all the regular customers jobs booked in. Still no wipers though! ;)

The car is displaying its CPL drag heritage there Paul - we need to re-distribute weight aft for what we want. I don't know who had the biggest brown trouser moment as Dave did that committed heavy breaking into Old Hall to lift second place in class.

A tremendous step up from Dave today, but I still can't believe how quick that Vauxhall car was for the power claimed and with with way he was able to put he mannners on a couple of Skylines. Still I declare the new engine run-in, so we can wind up the power 20% once we have sussed out how to swap a drag car to track/road car.

Seano

Nice one :) good luck for future races im sure some of the HOT lot will be there to support you :)

Well done guys! It was a great day and yeah that Astra was damn fast and left me for dead on the straights!:(

See you at the next one!:)

Well done guys, AWSESOME job. I txt Dave on friday and the TDi car was still in bits on the ramp so well done for getting the car ready and competative.

Well done Julian for a very good pace .

Hope to see you guys at Brands ( Round 3 ) which I should be able to attend.

Keep up the good work and congrats once again.

While the Vauxhall was quick everywhere, I notice that Dave was quite a bit quicker through the start finish speed trap 108.8 vs vs 104.2 So I know we have a faster car once we can get the braking and handling right and we have a quite a bit more power to come. The Vauxhall is 3 years into its development so I doubt its going to get any quicker and maybe its not as powerful as I first thought, powerful yes, handling formidable, beatable - potentially. The mini's were a bit disappointing.

Seano

Thanks Nick!:cool:

Seano yeah just looked at the timing info and you are right, good speed that across the start/finish line from Dave.:twisted:

Thanks guys for all the support and encouragement, it certainly was a mad couple of days getting the car ready but Seano, TP and the guys at TDI worked wonders and pulled it all together. We've got some things to sort on the car but the hard work has been done. It was a bit of a baptism of fire for me on Saturday after only 3.5hrs sleep and having only ever driven the car for a few miles to then go out on track and to try and put a good time in, but I built up the speed gradually throughout the day as I got more used to the cars limits and was pretty chuffed with the times we got. There are some top cars in Timeattack this year and i'd recommend for anyone that can get up to watch it to come you'll have a great day out. Well done Julian as well mate, for your first go to get a 3rd spot was awesome and you certainly have shown you've got some pace behind the wheel. See you at Knockhill.
Dave T.

I bet if someone had told you on New Years day that in 2010 you'd be lapping Oulton quicker than Paul Hughes in the BuddyClub DC5, you'd have have demanded a pint of whatever they were drinking.

Seriously good effort Dave. TP and I have just had a good chat about where we go next with the car. As we discussed, we will hold the power where it is for now and work on the handling for a bit. I had a bit of brainwave last night and wanted to run it past him before we try it.

Seano

Back