• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDi North's 2011 Challenger

While the tyre saga rumbles on a quick update on where we're upto...

New hydraulic lines on and bled up - cushty.

Start the engine and our old problem is back - spongy pedal that slowly drops.... bugger.

So time to start thinking again. We've changed the lines, the master, the slave ...

Its got to be the servo. Took the vacumn line off and blew up it .....sssss. Now that aint right.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
Still dragging on with tyre saga.

Its got so bad that quite a few cars are now on the verge of giving up and switching to the Dutch TimeAttack series. Even I am doing the maths and I have to say it looks quite attractive.

Effectively if we stick with wheels we have, we are pushed into running second class tyres, which will make it hard to keep up with the Minis, never mind Bo. If we swap to 18 in rims, we can run the best Pirelli's that are on offer, but the cost is going to be around 3K which we havent got. So the UK series will cost say 2.25 (entry) + 3(18" wheels) + 2.5K (tyres) = 7.75K + plus fuel, hotels, transport & suport costs for 7 rounds.

We can do the Dutch Championship for about 4K (mainly ferry costs) for 4 rounds - 2 at Assen, 2 at Zandvoort with our current spec.

Decisions, decisions ...

Seano

Euro road trip!:)

Assen & Zandvoort are epic tracks, especially Assen even though it's been watered down a bit.

What are Dave's/TDI's view on it? If it was me i would be going to Holland.:cool:

How about doing a one hit wonder @ Oulton just to see what the tyres are like or doing a track day there and back to back testing against a set of R888's, would give you a better idea on how they will stand up and more importantly how much slower they are.

The tyre situation sounds like complete madness.
Hope they hurry up and sort it out as there running out of time if they want to get everyone back in ( or out ! ).

Rekon you will prob be better going off to holland at this rate .
Keep us updated mate.

I'm quite confident that Robin's back to back assesment this week will be an accurate enough comparison for us.

OK his 3 Halford's Touring car Civics are not as powerful, but will work the tyres much harder in the bends. We would probably fare worse in some respects as we will have wheelspin to really flail the Italian tyre. I'm certainly not even thinking about changing the wheels at the moment - I simply can't afford it. Its ridiculous that we are even being asked to consider it at this stage.

We could run at Assen in a months time with the car as it is and then make a decision I suppose. Bring back Rob Barnes is what I say - he would never have let it get into this Mexican standoff.

As a businessman I appreciate Glens point of view that the internal workings of Santrero are his business, he seems to unable to realise that the well being of the cars are the Team's business.

We have grave reservations about running a mixture of very highly modified saloon/sports and full blown racing expensive cars on tyres that the RACMSA will only sanction for production saloon cars.

Seano

P-Zeros on track cars, jesus... The only reason I've used them (Neros) for so long on my CTR is that they're decent in the wet. They're certainly no where near optimised for dry weather. I fear a lot of the powerful tuned cars in TA would simply destroy the tyres, as mentioned it's a road car tyre, absolutely not a track tyre.

The bullsh1t is really starting to flow now with the rumours "I was told by the top that we are getting specialy sourced tyres there are totally different from the cheap rubbish sold in the UK, and that's the reason there are no performance difference between the 3 tyres on offer, and that's also the reason they are more expensive than what we can source ourself."

Yeah right! That smells very pungent - with a piquancy of desperation.

Seano

So there basically saying " don't use the **** tyres we supply to the whole of the rest of the industry , we will supply you with the good ones " ... - Like feck there going to make special compounds just for you guys !! .. Does smell a bit fishy !

Its just daft

Well what ever glimmer of hope we had of competing in the 2011 TA FI FWD has pretty well been extinguished.

I've just spoken to Ian at Silverline who are TimeAttacks sole supplier of Pirelli tyres - no good news. They won't supply the PZero 225/45/17 and he doesn't think the Rosso will be suitable for 500BHP in FWD. We can't afford to go to 18" and do all the rounds.

I see no point in not being competitive for a class championship win and risking the car. Dave has proved himself to be more than capable of beating Bo in Spirit despite being down on power and with seriously dodgy brakes.

I had a strange email from Pirelli to be specific Carl Naylor Motorsport Manager UK.

"Due to the range of vehicles participating in Time Attack and their respective wheel sizes there will be different tread patterns for the differing wheel sizes and there could be a difference in respect of lap times which is attributable to the fact that some cars will be on 18” wheels whilst others may be on 16” wheels, therefore a degree of variation in performance between the two examples provided is possible. However, this variance is likely to be due to the varying sizes of the tyres on offer, rather than the different tread patterns being used"

Is he really suggesting that grip is predominantly determined by rim diameter rather than type of tyre?

If I could somehow afford them and make them fit, what do you reckon to these.

prorace12.jpg

Seano

If I could somehow afford them and make them fit, what do you reckon to these.

prorace12.jpg

Seano

They are getting quite popular in the FN2 circles now. Supposedly very light for an 18"

I'm assuming you would destroy a cheaper set like Rotas or do you have to run specifically sanctioned wheels? I was just thinking of a stop gap to get you onto 18s.

Paul might lend you his P1s? :p

Team Dynamic wheels are good mate, the BTCC cars use them. Did you not have a set on your car at JAE 2 years ago?

Tyre situation sounds like a 'mare. Would you be competitive in Holland? I'd be seriously considering it if it were my wallet. ;)

Nah - those were the Oz's we have two sets the 8J with R888's and 7.5J with T1R's.

The Dutch championship would be much harder because it doesn't split by drivetrain so we'd be out against the big boy renegades from the UK championship - I don't fancy our chances against this sort of thing

robin_ta_r4-19.jpg

Actually it gets worse

group_shot.jpg

La Famile Duxbury with their toys!

We've just got a borrowed trannny van and a trailer - but our ferry bill will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Mind you if Louie and TP join in, our BAR bill might not be.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
It's stupid how they're destroying TA with the silly rules and prices.

Mmh TP's old FN2 wheels fit with a 5MM spacer 18*7.5J with an ET of 55 and they'll take a PZero 225/18/40.

Why do wheels and tyres get sized in a mixture of units?

Seano

Yes but they're free if he doesn't catch me nicking them (good job he's away in Cyprus at the moment!).

At the moment they're just a backup insurance policy in case there's any delays in having some other ones made.

Seano

Back