• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDi North's 2011 Challenger

We had quite a good day in the park - not too many drama's. Car is awesome and can only get quicker - no major problems all though the front is a bit deranged as we couldn't get it to fit round the oil coolers! More deja vu - we had to remove the grill in the end!

The new Pirellis were surprisingly good! With taking the camber off we are understeering a little more, but we have a reasonable tyre temp gradient across the tyre. Biggest dissapointment is the quality of the nitrogen filling from Demon Tweaks - utter rubbish (the pressures went all over the place) - I will be having words. For sure though, their tyre shaving did a good job - although it breaks my heart to pay to shave 4MM of rubber off a brand new tyre.

Come on over we are in pit 16 - better still Carlie is TDi Norths own Race Queen.

60081_498037863326_739063326_7124406_5967793_n.jpg

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
How did it go today dude?

Wheres best online to see TA results and on-goings? The TA website doesn't have results for today, and I am impatient haha.

3rd overall in class - but second placed car isn't a championship registered so we will have his points too. Too tired to do a proper report so this is what I said on MCR-VTEC.

We couldn't live with my good friend Bo in the Astra today, but we go back and knowing what we have to do. The car ran pretty well faultlessly all day although it was getting a bit loud towards the end (we got a warning) so I think we need to repack the JP exhaust before Brands. The new Clockwise engine is strong an I think we have plenty of power - we just don't have the handling. We were nearly always quicker through all three speed traps than Bo all day.

I think MD of TDi North Paul 'TP' West sort of enjoyed driving the car today although he had a couple of brown trouser moments. Particularly memorable and captured on video was when in qualifiying he got pulled across the track snatching 5 after Cascades and ended up with two wheels on the grass @ 103MPH. Certain amount of in-car profanity also picked up by the mic
icon_redface.gif

Anyway the car is back at the farm now and I will start work on the front on Sunday. I need to sort out the coolers to get the front end on before properly before I start playing round with splitter/canard ideas - we need to carry more speed through the corner and cure the understeer.

Dave Thorpe will be returning to do the driving for the rest of the Season as Paul reckons he prefers wearing his tuning cape on the dyno to actually wearing his race suit and driving it for real.

Seano

PS My VTEC certainly does go 'BWAAAAAAAGH' and then 'Fffffffffff' - I'll sort the fluttering dump valve too.

I'll post some piccies up on Sunday.

Ok Knockhill next.

Dave T is returning to the fray and I've had chance to think about things and tidy stuff up. Nothing major but attention to detail is important. I've been tidying up the airflow and brakes (the grill will be on for Scotland), I've also moved the battery as it was in a bad place. We will be changing the synchros on 3rd and 4th (again) and are monitoring the gearbox oil temps.

Had a bit of fun with her this afternoon as Neil drove her through town on trade plates!

Seano

Looks like its just Dave and me venturing North of the border so I am to be the sole owner owner/pit bitch roamin in the gloamin or what ever it is they do up there.

Spent an hour today day gathering all my tools together from the Farmers place (not that I really know what to do with them - well I do, but I'm too bloody old and slow). Was looking athe Farmers Testarossa and his E Type that Spirit shares a home with.

Roger's asked me to take his 3.8 down to the Jaguar E Type 50th aniversary celebration at Silverstone later on in the year. Huge honour to be asked to do this, so I reckon I will - its worth a fortune.

Suppose I will have to grow a Terry Thomas cad moustache and a dodgy cap to act the part - "Well hello Ladies - Vroom Vroom"

I bet I look/sound more like Basil Brush - Boom Boom.

Seano

Well that was fun - hard work but fun. Dave and I had arranged to meet up to on Saturday morning to pick the car from TDi North. Neil and Lou had done a sterling job to prep the car (including a gearbox change). I was at home just mooching about when I got a call from fellow competitor Umar Masood (RX7 Turbo). His tow car was having problems with its steering and I suggested that he called into TDi North for investigation.

We then learnt more than we ever wanted to about Wrangler Jeep's power steering lines. A couple of hours passed punctuated by the raucous roar of Dougie's ROTREX drag car and urdu curses.

Eventually we set off in a loose convoy for our trip over the border. We stoppped for Lunch somewhere on the M6 and then settled back to enjoy the view Lake District. Just as we were approaching Knockhill Umar rang up again - white smoke and the temps had gone through the roof. Sounds like the head gasket we concurred - try putting some water in when it cools and carry on.

By 6PM we had turned up at the paddock and got the car off the trailer when Umar rang again. He'd got it going again but it had died completely at the services. I knew what he was going to ask, but made him ask Dave.

A few minutes later we set sail south again seeking a service station allegedly only 42 miles away. Seventy minutes later we found them and hooked on hig huge trailer complete with gearbox "strapped" on the back. Umar's a great friend but he doesn't travel light - in fact he has a bizarre bazaar of RX7 bits from rotors to diffs, to 4 complete suspension struts. I had already warned him that tough choices would have to be made, our van was pretty full and in the end he elected to take the car bits and share our tools.

The journey back to the Circuit was somewhat slower - of particular note was the clanking of the gearbox on the trailer as we passed over the expansion joints on the Firth of Forth bridge. As I watched in the mirror I noticed the traffic falling back from the trailer in pure fear. Dave and I were trying to calculate whether it would fall in the water or in carriageway - secretly I rather hoped it would be the water and that would be the end of it. We finally got to the hotel after 10 and I passed over a couple of tickets XDCX and arrange with him to fill our fuel churns - a task we had failed at due to our outbreak of kindness.

After a MaccyD's and a couple of scoops we retired for the evening - knackered.

We were up early and on the road back to circuit for 7AM. Man it was cool, breezy and it was clear that we would have rain to contend with at some stage (s) of the day. Dave and I struggled with his gazebo device and used the van as windbreak - this was to be one of our smartest moves of the day.

While Dave was signing on and attending the drivers briefing, I started Spirit to warm her up. Rather strangely after about 7 or 8 minutes the EPS light came on and a quick tug on the wheel indeed showed that there was no power steering. I restarted the car and held my breath as I prayed that the light would go out - which after what seemed an eternity, it did. Of course this left me in a bit of a dilemma as to whether to tell Dave about the potential problem, which I did in the end.

By 9 a decent crowd was gathering and taking a keen interest in the cars. They're a hardy lot up there - quite a few just in T Shirts and by 9.15 I'd seen one of them determined to enjoy his day with a breakfast can of Carlsberg.

We were planning a low key warmup and were somewhat surprised to find Dave at the sharp end of the timesheets. Our good friend and nemesis Bo Nielsen (Astra VXR) was soon over to have a mooch at Spirit to see what we had done since Oulton!

Practice saw the positions reversed and it was clear that the 4 cars in FI FWD were very evenly matched - however I knew that Dave had quite a bit in hand and wasn't going to show the car's potential in a stage where there are no points up for grabs.

Unfortunately things were not to go our way in the afternoon. We had hoped that the 3rd and 4th gear selection problem that had troubled Paul West at Oulton began to re-appear as the pace picked up. I was carefully monitoring the gearbox temps all day and each successive session they were going higher and higher. Although we had swapped the gearbox once we had seen the badly worn gears and synchros, we hadn't realised that the selector cables were knackered too.

So come the final we had to settle for 3rd, there just wasn't anymore in the car. We can take some satisfaction in these analysis figures

Speed Trap 1

88 Andrew BARBOUR 127.6
61 Matthew LAWSON 125.7
79 Alan FREELAND 123.1
333 Jon MATHERS 120.7
82 Chris BENNETT 115.5
48 Umar MASOOD 114.1
103 Dave THORPE 113.0
97 Romain LEVESQUE 112.0
41 Mark POLLARD 110.0
77 Gerry ATKINSON 104.0
33 Bo NIELSEN 101.8
9 Adam KINDNESS 100.9
23 Jimmy WHITE 48.2

Speed Trap 2
88 Andrew BARBOUR 117.9
61 Matthew LAWSON 115.5
79 Alan FREELAND 111.8
333 Jon MATHERS 107.5
103 Dave THORPE 106.0
82 Chris BENNETT 105.8
97 Romain LEVESQUE 105.4
48 Umar MASOOD 103.7
41 Mark POLLARD 101.5
77 Gerry ATKINSON 96.0
9 Adam KINDNESS 95.2
33 Bo NIELSEN 91.4
23 Jimmy WHITE 57.5

Further more the ideal lap time showed that if Dave hadn't been struggling with gears he would have been over a second a lap quicker.

Still thats MotorSport.

Here's some pictures from the day - there's plenty of pictures of Spirit so here's some different images.

Romain's CRX

KHT10109.jpg

Gary's Seat

KHT10453.jpg

Bo's Astra
KHT11168.jpg

Dave, Romain and Bo splash some wheel cleaner about
KHT11385.jpg

Umar's car

219179_221156214563620_114862561859653_940334_3734623_o.jpg

And the big man himself
KHT11377.jpg

Well we couldn't leave him back in Glasgow - frightening the locals with his rucksack and fuel churns!

Hope you enjoyed the tale of our weekend. Roll on Brands.

Seano

Well just one then
KHT11174.jpg

Umar attempts FWD lines in a RWD car.

But he found this line on all on his own - Bless him!

KHT10891.jpg

:)

Don't forget, he could of brought some of his tools in your van if he had left the endless supply of Doritos behind!

Priorities!!

Quite a good result from humble beginings - 3rd.

We rebuilt the gearbox yet again and for once that didn't cause us any problems. Cadwell was never going to be a good circuit for us and rumblings amongst the Club FWD runners about rule changes and car weights had me two minds of which way we should go.

In essence since Romain Levesque had debuted his awesome wide track Honda CRX its been in a class of its own and we are all 3+ seconds away. Personally I feel Romain deserves full credit for what he has done, but some people feel that his car is too light (or rather they can't get any more weight out of theirs). I was undecided about swapping shells and making a lightweight (900KG) EK/EG9 with 500BHP or whether to continue with the EP3 (1000KG).

I'd got some wider Pirelli's prepped (nitrogen + 4MM shave) and some Eibach pro spacers but to get them on the car would mean major hacking at the wheel arches. In the end I elected to leave things as they were and just put a paltry 2.75 degrees camber on the front (the maximum we can get on at the moment) and some very worn PZero's.

Anyway we set off fairly gently with Dave trundling round in 4th place - actually thats not quite true, he was giving it death, but Spirit wasn't in the mood. He had rather nasty fright in practice when he came round a blind corner to find the track completely blocked by 2 Evos sideways as a result of a Fiesta Turbo having the engine let go and cover the track in oil. With no warning flags and nowhere to go, he had no option but to hit the anchors very hard which resulted in the back end coming round and a trip backwards across the grass. Luckily there was an access alley in the the Armco which saved him from impact. Quick cheery wave to the crowd, select first gear and breath.

The Final was red flagged after one flying lap which really scuppered things for Bo Nielsen in the Astra. He needs to set his time early on as his car destroys the tyres very quickly. After the restart Dave was chasing the Astra and Dave Cope in the Scoobie. After a couple of laps he started to slowly reel them in as their tyres faded and his came to life. All of a sudden the Honda's lights went on and Dave got past them to beat Bo by 27 thousandths of a second (92 cm).

CP111359.jpg

I decided to watch the final from the assembly area and it made for exciting stuff - I don't know how Dave felt, but I know my nipsy was twitching watching them over the Mountain and through the Hall Bends sequence.

Of course the day belonging to Romain.
CP111714.jpg

This years Pirelli PZero is typically about 1.5 seconds per minute of track time slower than the R888 , which equate to around 2 seconds round Cadwell. Romain smashed last years record set by Bo Nielsen on R888's, by 3 seconds.

Fantastic achievement - my hat is tipped.

Seano

Top work guys :D

The main thing is though, it sounds like you 2 are really enjoying it despite all the problems with the gearbox you have had and all of the nonsense with the tyres.

Romain is rapid. Stupidly rapid.

Have fun Romain - you deserve the chance.

I'm pretty sure who will win Club FWD this year but personally I feel that it is now a meaningless championship as the best car and driver won't appear in the records - but I will know.

Dave can't win - but we may help Gerry instead even if his car should be in Pro too afterall Seat built the car for him and they now run it as well.

For the rest of the season we will be running semi wide track and going to full wide for 2012.

Seano

Car is just about ready - we seem to have got away with the 235*18's and the 15MM Eibach spacers. Quick blast round TDi and no obvious body frottage with 3.7 degrees of camber and a bit more toe-in. We have also fitted the TDi North protoype adjustable front anti roll bar based upon the JDM one for the EP3.

Just got to fit a new Seat front splitter and I think we are good to go. Realistically we can't catch Bo but I'm thinking the Seat is not untouchable and Anglesey and Snett should suit us well.

If this works, we will go really wide track next year.

Seano

Aghh - that didn't go to plan!

Stuck in holiday traffic we were late getting to the circuit on Saturday and Dave only managed a few laps with a MLR instructor who gave some pretty good advice and was damn brave.

Come this morning, we were beset with electrical gremlins that kept putting the car into limp mode and cutting the electrics. We thought we had finally go to the bottom of it and were just getting ready to put the car in the assembly area when we noticed that the supercharger was slightly skewed.

Closer examination revealed that the steel mounting bracket that fits onto the block had sheared. Clearly the car wasn't going to go out and Neil and Adam got it off the car - while Dave and I stood round and tried to offer encouragement. Luckily we got some help from Warren @ Buddy Club who using Umar Massod's MIG welder managed to join the broken bits. We struggled to get it all back in place and time was running out. Worse still when we finally started the car there was a horrible noise from the charger/alternator area. After a few anxious minutes Neil finally found some small stones that had got lodged in the belt and that were causing the noise.

Dave gave the car a good thrash round in the final but we hadn't done the track time and our rear tyres were too shot for anything more than 3rd.

But once again - the Driver of the Day was forum member Romain Levesque. Having had to rush round all week to get his Race License now enforced upon him since his promotion to Pro Class a few days ago, he had the misfortune of loosing his charger 1/2 way through the warm-up.

He wandered over to see if we had a spare charger - sadly not. Zut Alors - I 'ave put so much effort in - I think I will race it NA!

He quickly disconnecting the charger, rigged up an impromptu induction and after changing map and took to the track with around 220 BHP (which is quite a bit less than half his normal power). Obviously the speed was hopelessly compromised so he then took off the big rear wing and softened the car up.

Come the final his dander was really up and he proceeded to push himself up to onto the podium in 3rd place.

A fantastic reward for your efforts, my friend.

RICH_SAMS TA11R4-42.jpg

Seano

Back