• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDI-PLC (TDI 'South') review

Hi All,

I've got round to getting a full service completed (with gearbox oil and valve clearances) - and decided to get a HKS Racing Suction Kit and Hondata Flashpro, with custom remap.

I checked around the forums for respectable FN2 tuners with a Rolling Road local to me (in Cambridgeshire - so not really any) - found some references on older posts to a TDI in Essex (also CPL and Eurospec 2000). I did some ringing around and got a great price on the HKS from Hendy and the Flashpro from CPL - but the best deal on installation of all the parts and a custom remap from Mark at TDI-PLC.

I spent the morning down there and was well looked after and kept with a regular supply of coffee, biscuits and conversation from Sean and Mark, whilst Sam did the install and remap.

I spent about an hour talking to another customer in there, who's a 'regular' there with his CRZ - and couldn't say enough good things about them.

They've got a hub-mounted Dyno (wheels come off and machine is bolted to your hubs) which I'm told cost around £250,000 and is far more accurate than a traditional machine, where they strap the car to big rollers. I was allowed into the tuning area and nothing was too much trouble for Sam to explain about (he's some kind of re-mapping genius, with a Degree in Physics, who teaches classes in advanced engine tuning!). I also went out in the car with him on some test-runs - whilst he had the laptop and Flashpro plugged in for data-logging and fine tuning.

I needed to to go back to get a couple of other things sorted (including a speedo re-Cal) - and again, got the same great service - and detailed explanations about what was being done and why.

I was so impressed with their service, professionalism and the standards of their premises and after-care, that I said I'd write them up a good review on the forums - as there doesn't seem to be much about them (only TDI North) and I think they need a good mention, especially for people in the East Anglia area, who are looking at getting their car tuned up.

By the way - after the remap, I got a decent 193 BHP at the wheels (an increase of 25) which is around 220+ from the engine, in normal terms. The extra power, torque and lower VTEC point (4,400 on mine) gives much more noticeable power and throttle response - and the noise from the HKS is awesome (maybe a bit too much for me at my age - but I'm slowly getting used to it!)...

Fuel consumption isn't affected under normal driving either. I get around 28-30 mpg driving normally - and 34 mpg on 70 mph motorway with cruise control on.

Nice write up! I have heard a lot about the feel of the car is very different in a good way even without any supporting mods.

Back