• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Team Dynamic pro 1.2

Hey guys, looking to purchase a set of these wheels for my DC5 but my question is what is the best offset and width to go for? the car is going to be lowered 30-45mm. im looking for a OEM look but dont mind if they stick out a tiny bit. any opinions and info would be of help

What size wheels are you going for, 17s or 18s? From a little research on google the offset seems to be +38 for 17 x 8s or +35 for 17 x 9s

Going to keep them 17's i think, +38 seems low wont that mean the wheels will stick out of the arches?

TypeRiter will be your man to answer this, he's a master at wheels offsets and the like.

Nearly obsessed, lol.

Cheers Suits... lol... IMO... What offsets and widths are available mate? offset is relative to the width of the wheel.. in anycase +38 is quite low for a DC5... that's the sort of offset that gets wheels poking out of the arches (width dependant of course) - but they would fit in all liklihood, touch and go on whether they'll catch as regards your height. A good, typical offset for a DC5 IMO is ET43-ET45 and higher on regualtion width wheels (like 7" & 7.5" wide") IMO, the wider the wheel the higher the offset.. don't go too high otherwise you'll catch the inner arch.

dsjones, there is a signifcant difference between the offsets of the DC5 and the EP3. The standard offset for a DC5 is ET60...

Yeah good point Sun, 42 will work on 7" wide wheels but I'd imagine it'd cause issues on 8" wide. 45 is ideal for most Honda's IMO, any lower and you would need arch work.

Sun.

Wheel width and offset are not relative.

They are completely different and by no means in any way proportional to one another.

Just because a wheels width increases, doesn't mean the offset will.

I agree that wider wheels will require a higher offset in order to prevent tyre/arch contact though. But then you have to consider the inner arch as well as the suspension strut.

Anyhow.

I ran 17x7.5 et43 on my dc5 and got very very slight rub on the rear arches running 215/45 tyres and eibachs. Any lower and it would have been more regular.

A 45 offset would avoid the rubbing. On a 7.5" wheel. Just. But it depends on your ride height. 25-30 mm on a dc5 is perfect. You don't want to go too low. It looks ridiculous and compromises the handling.

If you wanted 8s.. You're going to want an offset that is closer to ET50 to pull it off safely.

On a 7" rim you could probably get away with ET40.

I didn't say that because the width increases the offset does. If a wheel is wider, a +50 on a 7" isn't the same as a +50 on an 8" So the offset and the way the wheel sits is relative to the width one goes for - this is what was meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've considered the inner arch too in my post; that I didn't mention the strut, was due to me knowing, from experience on my EP3, that (in all liklihood with the DC5 too) you'd have to be fouling the inner arch before you foul the strut...

And yes... it's not set in stone... I know someone running 9" wide +20's on an EP3, so high offsets aren't mandatory for wide wheels, but to keep a Type-R functional - the way a Type-R's meant to be driven (by most peoples accounts), the wider the wheels are, it is advisable that the offset should be higher to pull the width off - but it's not a given..

My Mugen's, Mugen-specified specific to the DC5, are 8" wide and they are +55. I had Work Emotion's 7" +42 and they sat very similarly to the way my Mugens sit; there's probably a few mm in it, but it's very similar indeed... that's why offset, IMO, is very much relative/dependant on/to the width of the wheel.. had my Mugens on an 8" wide been +42 they wouldn't sit the way the Work Emotion's did...

Hope that clarifies, if my first post wasn't thorough enough?

You've not said anything I haven't - just elaborated that is all. :)

i think i would like to keep the width oem which im sure on a DC5 is 7". if this is correct taking advice from you guys im better going for a ET42 - ET45 to give room to lower the car? or will i be better off going for 7.5" wheel and going et45?

This is what 17x7 ET42 looks like on my DC5:
d3f379ea.jpg

The video belowis a Teg on OEM wheels.

[video=youtube;tTnmg9eSUrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTnmg9eSUrs&context=C2345dADOEgsToPDskLzXRfsqxV6s5xUwoCpBgMS[/video]

The video below is mine on 17x7 et42; you'll agree visually there is quite a difference, even more evident in the flesh.

[video=youtube;L0MrIH1tTOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MrIH1tTOo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Yeh i think once my car is lowered there will b more than enough room in the arches to go 30-40mm. But one thing i have forgot to mention is Im running a project Mu 4 pot caliper brake set on the front...They just about fit on the Dc5 wheels with out spacing. Will the lower offset compromise the wheel fitting?

The lower offset, should give you more clearance than you already have.. The wheel dimensions are exactly the same (17x7) - the difference is the lower offset. The lower offset would be like running OEM wheels with and 18mm spacer.

Back