• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TEGIWA intake

Sorry for probably a stupid question but i thought i will ask, does the Tegiwa intake do anything to the MPG (brings it down) or is it purely for looks and sound, again silly question but i thought i would see if it does.

If anything it'll improve MPG, rule of thumb on N/A cars... if you've increased power and you haven't increased fueling then your MPG is most likely improved too.

I've heard a lot of sound clips of the Tegiwa and it sounds decent so I can imagine in person it will sound even better, how does the CAI sound in comparison

They both sound awesome but IMO the teqiwa/gruppe M is quite metallic sounding. The CAI is slightly deeper and smoother IMO, but the M should get you a smidge more power.

Thanks for the input mate that's helpful, I think the M is slightly overpriced but I suppose that's due to it being imported.

I've had both. Cai sound alot better but teg m still sounds nice.

Only reason i changed was being paranoid about hydrolock (although its rare) living in rainey scotland didn't help.

Teg m looks better in the engine bay aswell.

I've had both. Cai sound alot better but teg m still sounds nice.

Only reason i changed was being paranoid about hydrolock (although its rare) living in rainey scotland didn't help.

Teg m looks better in the engine bay aswell.

With regard to hydrolock, what is it, and is it common with the teg boxes. Thanks.

hydrolock is when the intake sucks up water, engine tries to compress it and it bends valves and throws rods. Generally catostrophic. I ran a CAI for 100k miles with no issues, you just have to avoid fording any streams and if you go through a deep puddle, go real real slow :) You can also put a 'hyrdosock' on which stops any splashes getting sucked up. The only real way to do it is to fully submerge the filter which sits at about mid-wheel height.

I have heard the the Teg has a drain hole to divert any water entering the engine, is this correct and is it something to worry about in heavy rain, just trying to gauge all possibility before I take the plunge and get one.

Well the intake on those sits on top of the skuttle pannel (top of the bonnet) so you'd have to have a serious amount of water coming over the bonnet to fully saturate the filter. It's not impossible but is highly unlikely, never heard of anyone hyrdolocking an engine with a Teg/Gruppe M. They always have an AEM or Injen.

It depends how much you trust yourself to avoid deep puddles, I did anyway as a matter of course so it didn't effect my driving style at all. They're much cheaper and perform almost as well & sound better, the downsides are they make your engine bay look sh1te and there's the risk of totalling your engine if you're not on the ball. Lots of people run them without issues but there's always the odd one or two who manage to do it!

I think ill be going for the Teg,I think the look of it under the bonnet sways me alot also, the CAI does sound like an awesome piece of kit ***, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

You will not get hydrolock do not worry. You would need the intake to be submerged to suck up that much water, rain droplets coming off the bonnet and into the intake scoop will not cut it.

I have a teg m and i had no problems with it. I even drive through the carwash while my engine is still running.

Tegiwa m carbon airbox

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question but I was going to buy a tegiwa m induction kit and was wondering if it's suitable for all weather conditions. Was just abit worried of water going into it through the cold air feed. Is this possible?

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question but I was going to buy a tegiwa m induction kit and was wondering if it's suitable for all weather conditions. Was just abit worried of water going into it through the cold air feed. Is this possible?

Yes, the only issue I can see with it is if it snows and you jump in the car without clearing the air intake and even then I cant imagine it causing damage it will just suffocate the engine. I dont understand why people are worried about rain causing hydrolock or damage to the engine. If there was any chance of this happening the product would at the very least come with a disclaimer, most likely requiring a signature of agreement and at the very worst, would not be sold at all.

I've got a tegiwa system and drove it in literally the worst rainstorm I've ever seen in England for 50+ miles on the motorway with added spray from arctic lorries and all sorts and it was fine.

Back