• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tell me about B16 engines please oh knowledgeable ones! :D I'm really confused!

apologies if this is the wrong section but as they were in EKs it seems correct?

my TF has had all the fab work done and i just need to glue it all back together now... and im already thinking of project no.2 (this one a tad cheaper!)

and it involves the rather excellent (from everything i have read) B16 engine

the car in question has a D16 engine (SOHC) at present

basically i'd like to know which B16 engine i need (as there are many) i think i need the B16 A? which was 160ish bhp? and was put in the CRX and EP3 CTR

but im not sure :(

so can you correct me if im wrong? and let me know where i look on the engine to know which engine is which lol

and

how much should i look to pay for an engine/gearbox? I need a stock engine, not played with in any way (if its been cammed thats fine) but never Turbo'd

and i would like a ITR box to go with it (i'd love to do a b18 swap but i think that would be too hard :( )

Thank you! - adam

Plus what are you putting it in because those engines are fairly low on torques and would really only suit a lightweight vehicle.

EP3 - K20

Go for a B18 over a B16B the B16B being the engine used in the EK9 Type R.

thats why i said EK mate... is there another type of EK? is that why you mentioned the -9? sorry i am still learning honda lingo!

i know the K20 is in the EP3.. thats where the engine in my TF came from lol

Plus what are you putting it in because those engines are fairly low on torques and would really only suit a lightweight vehicle.

its not so much about power as reliability and the fact that the b16 is very easy to put in the car... and also i figured b16 engines would be much cheaper than b18s?

basically im going to do 2 swaps

1 to a rover coupe and one to our ZR rally car... for the rally car it has to be 1.6 for the class we are going to run in, and the car will weigh around 750/800kg once we fit the fire suppression and stuff

the rover coupe is my daily drive... its got a D16 engine SOHC 110bhp... i just want a bit more pull... better MPG and more to the point it would make all three of my cars MG/Rover V-Tecs lol so why not round the trio off if i can do so cheaply? it means we can 'practice' a swap on my daily hack before we do the rally car

if i could b18 my coupe though i would... i just think it will be harder... the b16 is a known "plug and play" swap... only needs 1 slightly modded drive shaft and 4 wires soldering where as im not sure on a b18

It's pretty much all here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

It is a really good article as it says which engine comes out of which car along with the stats for it. As you will see there are a few variations of the B16 engine. As SiKBoY said, the one you want is the B16B out of the EK9.

SiKBoY mentioned the K20 engine because you asked in your first post if the B16A was put in the CRX and EP3. SiKBoY was merely pointing out the EP3 has a K20.

There are a few designations on the EK chassis. The number refers to the engine, EK being the chassis.

Info on the 6th Gen designations can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_%28sixth_generation%29

All useful stuff when you are searching eBay! ;)

Ooops I did mean ek not ep lol, brain fart!

Great info mate thanks!

I've been browsing eBay and there is a HUGE price difference between the b16b and the b16a... With only 10 bhp difference is it really worth all that extra cash? Whats the difference? Are they basically the same engine?

I've done engine re-builds before and if it means saving over £1000 I'd tinker to get the extra power if the engine is basically the same and it's just a cam profile or something :)

Mpg is still the other issue, shame b18 engines are so costly :( may get better mpg from one in my daily drive thanks to the better torque really

Time to start looking into tucked bays now....

iirc the B18 & B16 are a straight swap. B16B is the hand build and the very first Type R engine and IMO if your insistant in doing it then go for the cheaper one. Quite why you would do it is beyond me though as there is much MUCH more to Honda's than the engine.

I get the rally car thing but not the road car I would leave the D16 engine in there until it dies and only then would I consider replacing.

Have you checked whether vtec is allowed in that class? Is there a BHP / aspiration limitation?

would have to be a b16a I think, not expensive really and a total stright swap, will gain me mpg and some bhp so why not swap lol, should make the car comfortable to drive too as it's a bit underpowered (and I'm sure will seem more so when I have a 230 bhp TF sat in my garage lol)

If it's easy, and cheap and and interesting swap then that's all the motivation I need

I'd buy a Honda but then I would be a Honda amid hondas and I find one off cars more interesting, plus I just can't afford any of the CTRs, I can build a 150/60 bhp rover coupe with v-TEC for a fraction of the cost of buying a CTR and insuring it, I'm a student after all, need to stay within what I can do... Plus mods for CTR suspension are crazy expensive when you are used to old rovers lol

If/ when I get a Honda it will be a s2000, more than 200bhp in fwd is a bit much IMO

As for the rally car it's fine to be v-TEC, I have a friend running a ZR with a b16b and integra gearbox... All the mounts are lifted from a d16 coupe so it's almost as easy :)

B16A1 = 150bhp with cable clutch, B16A2 = 160bhp hydro clutch. Also SiKBoY, don't think the B16B was the first Type R engine, I pressume it would be the B18C R first featured in the 1996 Integra Type R.

B18C4 which came in the Civic Vti (5 door) are cheap as, plus got an LSD gearbox, but with longer ratios than the B16's.

Err, didn't the NSX Type R come out in 1992? So that would be the first Type R engine.

B16A1 = 150bhp with cable clutch, B16A2 = 160bhp hydro clutch.
Also bear in mind the JDM spec'd engines are slightly more powerful than their UK counter parts listed above.

B18C4 which came in the Civic Vti (5 door) are cheap as, plus got an LSD gearbox, but with longer ratios than the B16's.
If you're on a budget, I'd agree this is probably your best option for cheap performance. The C4 is also in the Aerodeck 1.8VTi (MC2), not just the MB6.

After reading your thread again, if you 'need' a 1.6 in your rally car, then a B16B would be a better option if you can afford it. The B16B is essentially a destroked B18 and has much more torque than any other B16 engine, also with minimal mods they can achieve up to and beyond 200bhp.

As for being 'plug and play', I guess that would depend on what ECU you are running/intending to run...

Back