• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Texaco 97 octane

I normally fill up with V-power or BP ultimate, which does make it run smoother imo over the pikey petrol. I tried texaco 97 octane the other day and i have noticed a difference in engine note and performance. Could just be me hence asking if anyone else has experienced similar. Type R Ep3 btw!

i`m the same mate. I`ve used BP Ulitmate, V-power and Tesco super unleaded, and now I stick to Tesco

It's not the same exactly, the base unleaded is but it's the additive that's different.

If that's the case use 95 most of the time, use 97-99 for trackdays etc just give yourself a full tank's use before the day (or reset the ECU).

There shouldnt really be any more grunt IMO, or fuel consumption. I'd put a tank in every now and then to keep the engine clean. Besides if you were to achieve better MPG you still havent gained anything because of the extra cost. I run my GTR on 99 ron because thats what it is mapped for running it on a lower octaine would cause knocking. Since all Type R's (apart from JDM models only) have duel maps you will have no problem on 95 ron.

Higher RON petrol causes less pre-ignition knocking and contains cleaning agents.

Oh yeah sorry, your R32 is still N/A though. I would use 95ron without hesitation. Under normal driving the engine isn't really put under the stresses of say a track day.

Higher RON petrol causes less pre-ignition knocking and contains cleaning agents.
Not sure on that one matey IMO if your car is running on a 95 octaine map it would be well within safe levels.

Petrol's octane rating is a measurement of the fuel's ability to resist engine knocking. Knock occurs when the fuel-air mix in the cylinder explodes instead of burning in a controlled way. This shockwave moves within the combustion chamber, and creates a metallic 'pinging' sound.

An octane rating is often referred to as an 'anti-knock index'. If fuel has a high octane number, it will have a higher resistance to engine knocking.

http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html

Yeah I am well aware what ron means I work in the industry, but if you car is mapped for 95 ron then it will be well within safe levels. Did you know that standard unleaded is 91 ron, only you cant buy it over here any more !

An important characteristic of gasoline is its octane rating, which is a measure of how resistant gasoline is to the abnormal combustion phenomenon known as pre-detonation (also known as knocking, pinging, spark knock, and other names). Deflagration is the normal type of combustion. Octane rating is measured relative to a mixture of 2,2,4-trimethylpentane (an isomer of octane) and n-heptane. There are a number of different conventions for expressing the octane rating; therefore, the same fuel may be labeled with a different number, depending upon the system used.
The octane rating became important in the search for higher output powers from aero engines in the late 1930s and the 1940s as it allowed higher compression ratios to be used.

Mines definitely a bit livelier on the Tesco Super stuff anyway. Every car is different I suppose, if you don`t feel the difference, don`t bother

Running a few tanks of V-Power after using standard I went from 29 mpg to 32.8 mpg. I does run smoother on start-up/warming up. Also with the cleaning agents in the fuel and the slightly higher octane for an extra what 80p a tank i think its reasonably priced. Just that this Texaco (not Tesco) 97 Octane i put in made the car slightly more mental than normal. Will probably switch back to V-power next tho.

Yeah my spelling is poor :ghey:

I wouldn't have got anywhere in life without Microsoft and their spell checker :lol:

Tesco 99ron is manufactured by Greenergy and they get the octane level high by blending with bioethanol.

My personal preference is V-Power and that's all that goes in the GTR.

Yeah my spelling is poor :ghey:

I wouldn't have got anywhere in life without Microsoft and their spell checker :lol:

Tesco 99ron is manufactured by Greenergy and they get the octane level high by blending with bioethanol.

My personal preference is V-Power and that's all that goes in the GTR.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are the main differences between Tesco 99 and Vpower? These are the only two I can get around my way with an Octane level high enough for the Teg. I foolishly thought 99Ron was the same stuff across the board.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are the main differences between Tesco 99 and Vpower? These are the only two I can get around my way with an Octane level high enough for the Teg. I foolishly thought 99Ron was the same stuff across the board.

Not easy to answer that really, both are fine in fact it's likely the Tesco stuff may be at a slightly higher octane level than what is stated due to the bioethanol. Shell uses additives to increase their octane level and it's tried and tested all over the world, whereas Greenergy are a newcomer to the industry founded in 92.

Either will be fine just don't switch between the two stick to one. I used to use Tesco 99 for the DC5 and the EK9 no problems, since then I have moved and Shell is nearer. The GTR is mapped on V-Power anyhow so that's all it's getting!

Back