• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TGM ep3 BBK worth the money?

Hi.

Looking to upgrade my ep3s front brake system with 330mm two piece rotors (want to save some pounds) and 4 pot calipers, and after reading this post (http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?46945-Big-brake-kit-by-TGM-Sport-for-EP3) my question is:

Is this kit worth the money compared to a Stoptech kit? Which is around £300 more than the TGM.

If i'm not mistaken i've readen that the TGM kit uses F50 calipers, don't know if brand new or refurbed, but anyhow, is the Stoptech cheaper when talking about discs/pads replacements?

What about hats quality of both kits? Would like to keep these "forever" so expecting good quality.

Anyone who tried both kits or actually running the Stoptechs?

Thanks [-o<

I'm running the Stoptechs and they are fantastic, I did a detailed write-up a couple of weeks ago. New DS2500 pads are £100 a set, not sure on the cost of discs

I can't comment on the TGM kit except the calipers will probably not be as good, as having seen bench tests the Stoptechs are stiffer than Brembo

You're welcome to come and experience mine before you buy.

Also bear in mind you'll need 7mm spacers or aftermarket rims to fit the Stoptechs.

not sure anybody can really justify the need for 4 pots on an EP3. standard set up is good, strengthen it with some good fluid, braided hoses a dn a set of good pads like Ferodo DS2500's and should be good to go. Works very well on track and never once has it felt underbraked on the 3 ep3's i've used it on, about to fit again on my latest track Ep3.

Although you can't argue with the aesthetics of a big brake kit.

I have to say I also think the standard brakes are good now I'm used to them. Very progressive. But they stop you well when really stepping on it. My discs are super worn too and require replacement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only reason i want to upgrade my brakes is because i'm gonna install a k24a3 on the car, and will need better brakes for sure.

Right now, with goodridge hoses, rbf660 brake fluid and Carbone Lorraine RC6 pads, car stops really good, even with oem discs, but with the 24 we will output 263-264HP & 285NM (full stock) and i don't want to smoke the brakes neither on the track nor on the mountain.

Btw, you're right, £450 for a set of rotors (without hats) is a bit expensive compared to oem, but i'm sure they are worth it.

Does anyone know how much do K-sport/D2 pair of rotors go for?

I disagree on the stock brakes, I had an excellent stock setup with braided lines, Motuf RBF600 fluid, EBC discs and pads and they were terrible on the track IF you used them properly (ie prolonged, hard braking). Same on other OEM sized brands of disc/pad. Hence why I upgraded to Stoptech.

Temps before were over 300 degrees, now after 8 laps on the track my discs are 90 degrees.

In my opinion - the Civic is an excellent car in every respect except the brakes.

If you do track days in anger they need upgrading.

That's because ebc pads are ****ing shat. Honestly I had them in my four pots on my saxo and they were ****. Ferodo pads are a million times better. I don't know how ebc are so popular they're just awful.

i use cheap ass motaquip discs ( peugeot) and DS2500's never had an issue, nor does my brother. EBC are gash, not sure how they still sell anything with their rep

Please, i don't wanna see any review of oem setup if possible...

I know they're good because a friend of mine runs his ep3 on rally with the proper upgrades (slotted discs, pads, hoses...) and still uses the oem setup, but for my setup i will need a bigger kit.

Stoptech is way too expensive, for £200 more 4 pot AP kits are sold, and for £150 more you have the 6 pot, which must be a monster.

Anyway, it's a lot of money, but security goes first.

Must think what to do...

Also bear in mind the Stoptechs are designed to not change the brake balance over OEM, something which other big brake kits will do.

lol @ EBC being rubbish! What planet are you guys on?!

Is this really noticeable compared to any other bbk? Or it's just "placebo"?

The theory is sound - brake bias is heavily affected by piston size. So bigger / more pistons equal more front bias which can mean a longer stopping distance.

In reality though I can't comment as I've not tried the other kits.

You're more than welcome for a passenger ride in mine btw

You're more than welcome for a passenger ride in mine btw

Yes, i read that on your first post, and i really appreciate it, but i'm from Barcelona (Spain) so i think that won't be possible lol :evil:

I've seen your youtube videos thanks to your Stoptech review thread, and noticed the much more later braking point at Cadwell Park, compared to the 01/17/14 video, although that day track was a bit wet... am i wrong? Or it was just because of the wet tarmac?

Yes, i read that on your first post, and i really appreciate it, but i'm from Barcelona (Spain) so i think that won't be possible lol :evil:

I've seen your youtube videos thanks to your Stoptech review thread, and noticed the much more later braking point at Cadwell Park, compared to the 01/17/14 video, although that day track was a bit wet... am i wrong? Or it was just because of the wet tarmac?

Ah okay! lol...

The later braking point I think was 25% because of the dryer track, 75% because of the brakes.

Better still I overtook 3 cars in a very short braking zone because of the new brakes.

Best prices without doubt are from the US, but customs always suck...

Didn't found any shop in the UK... do you know any place where i could take a look?

With brakes you get what you pay for. More money = better engineering and development. Ap brakes are the best!

With brakes you get what you pay for. More money = better engineering and development. Ap brakes are the best!

Yes indeed, everybody knows that lol

I will finally go with the Stoptechs... lots of people using them and all happy with them... just trying to find a good deal in Europe, to avoid customs... you know.

Yes indeed, everybody knows that lol

I will finally go with the Stoptechs... lots of people using them and all happy with them... just trying to find a good deal in Europe, to avoid customs... you know.

Tegiwa, using the 10% discount they posted up the other day (should still be valid)

That would work out about £1500 (ish)

Back