• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

That burning smell...may know what it is.....

MUXY

Wiperblade Master
A few of you have complained about a rubber burning smell after short drives...not spirited log drives.

I notice this smell after a 4-5 mile trip from work and ONLYwhen reversing onto the drive. This made me think that it must be from the rear of the car.

When I got out I pinpointed the smell to the driver's side rear tyre but when I touched it..it was still cold. However......the inner wall of the tyre was very, very warm as it was getting heat from the exhaust.

I bet that those of you with aftermarket exhausts do not get this smell but the OE box must be very close to the tyre to generate such heat.

The passenger tyre was cold all over so it MUST be the exhause causing the inner wall to 'smell' thus that it why we are not experiencing tyre wear.

Hope this helps.....for those getting this smell, check it out for yourselves.

yowserctr said:
A few of you have complained about a rubber burning smell after short drives...not spirited log drives.

I notice this smell after a 4-5 mile trip from work and ONLYwhen reversing onto the drive. This made me think that it must be from the rear of the car.

When I got out I pinpointed the smell to the driver's side rear tyre but when I touched it..it was still cold. However......the inner wall of the tyre was very, very warm as it was getting heat from the exhaust.

I bet that those of you with aftermarket exhausts do not get this smell but the OE box must be very close to the tyre to generate such heat.

The passenger tyre was cold all over so it MUST be the exhause causing the inner wall to 'smell' thus that it why we are not experiencing tyre wear.

Hope this helps.....for those getting this smell, check it out for yourselves.

Have you checked the pressure of that tyre to be sure?? The inside edge being warm may be an alignment issue also.

I do get the burning rubber smell the same as you but only in the wet! :roll: :?

Neily03 said:
Have you checked the pressure of that tyre to be sure?? The inside edge being warm may be an alignment issue also.

I do get the burning rubber smell the same as you but only in the wet! :roll: :?

Tyre pressures are fine...check those regularly. But it is not wearing at all on the edge, it is just the actual wall of the tyre that gets hot....

And now you come to mention it...it is more noticeable in the wet......bizarre eh? :?

yowserctr said:
Neily03 said:

Tyre pressures are fine...check those regularly. But it is not wearing at all on the edge, it is just the actual wall of the tyre that gets hot....

And now you come to mention it...it is more noticeable in the wet......bizarre eh? :?

Mine was stinking when i got home last night and when i got into work just. Funnily its raining too! Last night i checked to see iff the inside edge of the offside tyre was warm like you said...... it was warmer then the outside and warmer than the other tyre.... but only warm not hot.... :?

You can smell things better when its wet which is probably why you only notice it when it rains Neily.

Funky said:
You can smell things better when its wet .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the childlike attitude that I have today....another one liner to make me laugh...it must be the fact that I am in the house having a day off work. :lol: :lol: 8)

I dont know exactly why but you can, something about gases diffusing better. Thats why a dogs nose is wet apparently.

My rear tyres really stink of burning rubber in this weather, even after the 5 miles, 40mph drive to work.... :? Must be some weird bridgestone thing....

You know what, that could be a good first comment. I had my CTR standard for about 5 days, then had an aftermarket exhaust fitted and the smell went. No idea if it's coincidence but it doesn't smell anymore and my smell was always at the rear of the car!

my rear right smells like burning, im gonna put it down to the exhaust, as the other side is "normal"

even after a very short drive the smell is there. quite worried until i read this thread. What a perfect excuse for an after market exhaust :D

Bizarre, i noticed this the other day when i got back from a 20 min drive in the damp.

Pulled car up the drive and thought "phew, whats burning?!":confused:

This used to be similar on my Accord.
Backbox does radiate a bit of warmth :lol:

Posted a thread about this smell a couple of weeks ago, feeling less worried about it now, cheers lads

I only seem to get the drivers side rear even though I've got exhaust either side... :?

My EP3 too, but the passenger side rear :confused:

Thought is was my clutch at first, popped the bonnet and systematically sniffred all round the car until I got to the offending area. Weird, never felt to see if it was warm on the inside wall, will next time.

Best part was I told a collegue I couldn't go to a meeting as I was working on something that couldn't wait. He watched me out the window of the conf room sniffing my car. :lol:

Back