• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

the 2 button fob??

i have not long bought a 2nd hand fob..so the missus could use it..i've tried getting it to lock/unlock the car. i've checked 3 times about the system auto data describes and its the same as others.

my questions are....can you 'program' the central locking yourself or is it a dealer job?
and is there a transponder in the key or is it all fob based?

sorry if in wrong section but unsure where this should go

If it is a facelift (late 53 reg onwards) until 2006, you should have a 2 button fob, which you program yourself (I have just done the same as you) as below - the key does have a transponder buried in the plastic head, but I am not sure about the transponder type as I am still trying to sort my additional key out - I believe either the dealers or auto locksmiths can code the key to the vehicle/immobiliser assuming you have the correct key!

Steps:

1) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).

2) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on one of the transmitters. (Anon-programmed transmitter can be used for this step.)

3) Turn the ignition switch OFF (0).

4) Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 two more times with the transmitter used in step 2.

5) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).

6) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on the same transmitter. Check that thepower door locks cycle to confirm that you are in the programming mode.

7) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on each transmitter. Check that thepower door locks cycle after you push each transmitter button, confirming thatthe system has accepted the transmitters code

i can do that with the original fob but the 'new' one doesn't. do anything and i've swapped batteries. still nothing. did notice some printed writing when swapping batteries over, would that be for the frequency the fobs use?

don't know, my second hand fob was not even the same parts number (printed on white sticker on reverse of fob or on circuit board if you pop the fob case apart) as my original, but they both reprogrammed ok first time - I assume you know you have to program both/all fobs (touch lock or unlock) at stage 7?

Back