• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 The best exhaust combo for FN2?

I'm looking for some good performance gains by fitting a new exhaust to an FN2. A friend thinks the best combo for his EP3 (with relative cost) is to go for a new mid-pipe and cat-back system.
They do share the same engine but has anyone else tried this on their FN2? The next thing after that would be to get it remapped with a kpro or similar to hammer home those upgrades. Any ideas on diameter of pipe?

Already done - Smoothed out airbox and do luck panel filter.

The main restrictions on the FN2 exhaust system are the manifold with the cat and the centre section of the exhaust where it turns under the side of the car from the cat end. If you look at the OEM exhaust the pipe at that bend looks squashed.

Best overall combo really on a budget is a Tegiwa race manifold which does away with the cat and is much freer flowing. You'll need it remapped after that though as it will throw up the engine management light and the car will run lean, so if you go down that route do it last, just before mapping.

Cat backs are fairly similar with gains, Toda being the best of the regular ones but it will cost you. Real performance gains are to be had from a 3 inch system such as what TDi-North or Solid Fabrications can supply.

Supersprint used to just do the b-pipe section but I'm pretty sure they've discontinued it due to poor sales.

Are you saying Just get a manifold and remap? If I was looking at staying on top of a budget.
I had a look at the Tegiwa manifold but it states as you have said it does away with the Cat. On a serious note what do you actually do when it comes to MOT time? I have Dom from Endless Horizon as a mate who does tailor made exhausts so I would get him to build the rest of the system. In the fabricating process do you create another place for the cat?

No I wasn't saying just do the manifold!

Some people including TDi-North and Mugen on the M20s are putting the cat on the first straight bit of pipe you can on the b-pipe. A 400cel cat will normally pass the MOT if it's there.

I didn't run a cat on mine and did away with the restriction completely.

I got friendly with an MOT tester who put the probe in a Vectra or whatever he had in at the time. He tested the rest of the car and knew it was better looked after than most other cars on the road.

Thanks for the info I will update once I get the funds together.
Also Loxy thanks for posting up the info for smoothing out the airbox. I didn't feel spending the money on a carbon box was worth it if it's pretty much the same design just smooth inside. I combined it with a doLuck filter, no additional noise which is a shame but at around 4000rpm it feels more keen and ready to be put into VTEC. Pretty marginal gains but I feel richer doing it myself and in money!
http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...-Carbon-wrap&p=1051532&viewfull=1#post1051532 go to page 2

Back