• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

The car is reving itself low range between 1,000 - 2,500 RPM

I live down the lanes in the country side and I was bored last night (GF WENT TO SLEEP EARLY) so decided to give the car run. Vtec a few times and came to a tunnel and reved the car and the car started ideling funny reving itself low range up and down, up and down.

I'm confused to what this is? There is also a loud hissing sound from the induction kit?

Any suggestions? I've been told it may be the ICV but heard this is down from people who leave there car sitting for a few weeks??

Any comments or help would be appreciated massively.!

Many Thanks

ICV can get full of crap at any time really. It usually shows itself with the car struggling to idle and stalling with the revs dipping.

What induction kit do you have? Check for a split intake pipe or loose or poorly fitted joins to the filter or throttle body.

ICV can get full of crap at any time really. It usually shows itself with the car struggling to idle and stalling with the revs dipping.

What induction kit do you have? Check for a split intake pipe or loose or poorly fitted joins to the filter or throttle body.

Cheers for your reply Loxy!

It doesn't struggle to idle it's full of beans just idle's radiculously! Going up and down with a hissing sounds from the induction kit.

It's a HKS which cost like £250.

Shall I spray like WD40 all round the TB and intake hose etc... Didn't think there was that much power to cause a split. It's currently running about 230HP.

Thanks mate.

The intake hose or joins can split due to vibrations, age or imperfections. It could also just be coming loose.

The intake hose or joins can split due to vibrations, age or imperfections. It could also just be coming loose.

Don't say that mate I can't afford a new chain or hear a valves gone or something lol. If need be my £300 wheel money I have can only fix this.

Also when driving and changing gear not sure if this is down to the funny idle but dropping the clutch the revs raise too?

Who said. Anything about the chain? :lol:

Have you checked the throttle cable isn't sticking, could be leaving the throttle open slightly.

Who said. Anything about the chain? :lol:

Have you checked the throttle cable isn't sticking, could be leaving the throttle open slightly.

I snapped the throttle cable a while ago but still works fine I thought... How can I check is this is faulty bud?

Timming chain suggestions where online, but the engine is as quiet as a mouse!

Cheers for your help mate I do really appreciate it. Hate taking the car to a garage unless its something really serious! e.g Head Gasket or chain.

Aye it probably would be constant rather than bouncing if the cable was stuck and not returning fully. The idea of it just popped into my head when you said the revs rise when you press the clutch to change gear.

You'd check by looking at where the cable goes onto the throttle body when the car is on idle. It shouldn't be slack, but it shouldn't be tight either.

I doubt it would be chain or timing, you'd notice it being odd at higher rpm too. It could be your chain tensioner though.

No warning lights on the dash?

Aye it probably would be constant rather than bouncing if the cable was stuck and not returning fully. The idea of it just popped into my head when you said the revs rise when you press the clutch to change gear.

You'd check by looking at where the cable goes onto the throttle body when the car is on idle. It shouldn't be slack, but it shouldn't be tight either.

I doubt it would be chain or timing, you'd notice it being odd at higher rpm too. It could be your chain tensioner though.

No warning lights on the dash?

No warning lights or nothing. It's really odd!

Liturely this morning started her up, bouncing of the limiter to around 2,500 in a calm way up and down and possibly may go slightly higher and louder with a more constant stay for a split second but where the exchaust is noisey I don't want to annoy my neighbours.! Just doing that with a hissing sound from the HKS.

From my symptons what would you do in list to check?

I'm going to go home at 5:00, check the cable, check the ICV, clean the induction. Clean the plugs any other suggestions?

Could a faulty CAT cause this issue?

It'd be more likely to be a sensor than the cat, but if either were going you'd more than likely get the Engine Management light on the dash.

The car will idle fast when it's cold but it shouldn't really bounce about.

It'd be more likely to be a sensor than the cat, but if either were going you'd more than likely get the Engine Management light on the dash.

The car will idle fast when it's cold but it shouldn't really bounce about.

It bounces about from cold and warm. It's like it revs to 2,000k as it should from cold then goes to die then kicks in again to 2,000 then vice versa.

It's so annoying and if your inpaticent like me I just want it sorted and done.

My partner is going out tonight and won't be back till 10:30 or what ever she likes so have to wait on her. I'll be down at the garage till prob 0's in the morning trying to sort it out.

I'll disconnect the battery and attempt all the fixes etc... No engine light so can't be a sensor etc...

Mate said possibly losing compression but I said when I drive it, the car drives fine and goes into all gears and strong rev range apart from hitting low revs as it bounces! But his no mechanic just a friend.

My money is on the IACV.

Sounds too familiar to be anything else! :)

I hope so, I don't mind the cost its just bugging now knowing the fault. Once it's found I'll be in a better mood.

Can WD40 be okay to use on the IACV? Toothbrush too ? Any suggestion. Thanks

Hello mate. Quick update:

I removed the TB. Undone 1 pipe and green liquid came out? Whats the coolant?

Plus I cant remove the TB as the cable is attacthed so do I twist the TB then unscrew the screws by phillips then remove the ICV and leave the TB hanging?

The gasket was shot too so ill buy a new one of those.

I also made a video which I can upload on facebook if your able to view it bud?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the throttle cable off the tb

Unscrew the 4 bolts holding it on.

Remove the two coolant hoses attached to the tb. Plug them with the bolts you've already removed.

Remove the iacv.

Clean.

Refit as removal.

Remove the throttle cable off the tb

Unscrew the 4 bolts holding it on.

Remove the two coolant hoses attached to the tb. Plug them with the bolts you've already removed.

Remove the iacv.

Clean.

Refit as removal.

I couldn't see any bolts holding it on.. I'll have another look later. Whats the liquid in those hoses? Thanks

Back