• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

The dreaded "Passenger Footwell Leak" issue

I've owned my 07 FN2 for just over 2 years and I absolutely love driving it. However it's developed a fault in the last few months that's turned into a headache and is souring the ownership somewhat.

It started a few months back when I was vacuuming out the car and removed the mats to clean under them. When vacuuming the carpet, moisture appeared and I assumed that the Climair deflectors I had just fitted were at fault. I removed them but the moisture remained.

I then took the car to a bodyshop to see if they knew if they could figure out where the leak came from. I initially assumed it would be the windscreen but they found a crack in the roof under the roof strip just at the top of the A piller and filled it with Tiger seal. Job done or so I thought.

I had been placing tea towels under the carpet to dry it out the carpet and underfelt and the towels had been getting less and less damp. In the past week, there was a heavy rainfall and when I went to change the towels, they were saturated. The leak had obviously not been fixed.

I'm getting autoglass out this week to reseal the windscreen (I'm unsure this will fix the issue or not). I did a bit of digging this weekend however and think I've found the ingress point.

This is the bit of plastic trim just below the glovebox.
DSC_0794_zpsgm93y0ll.jpg

I removed the plastic trim and the bare metal behind was damp to touch. I notice when I put my finger into one of the holes that it was filled with water.

IMG-20160522-WA0005_zpshesyktsi.jpg

The square hole is where the water was coming in. The 'bulgy' part below it was filled with water. As the car moved about or as more water got in, the leak made its way to the carpet.

I've used a pipette to get as much out as I can but here's what I'm hoping to know. Where does this bit of bodywork go? What other points could be letting water into that area (assuming it's supposed to be watertight)? Has anyone else come across this fault before?

Many thanks.

I have done loads of these repairs
When you say under the roof strip was cracked , yes that is correct but hondas bulletin states REMOVE ALL OLD SEALENT & up to 12" back & not just put tiger seal over the top of the crack
Have another look under the roof trim, clean & follow it backwards

Thanks for that. Would you happen to have the bulletin? I don't suppose it's something a Honda dealer acts upon for free, even on a 9 year old car?

Unfortunatly it wont be under waranty (3years or 90k) but i will try & dig it out for you tomorrow

No probs
Just for the record it also cracks at the rear as well then leaks into the boot & the perspex also leaks
Just thought i would share the info for any other Fn2 owners

I'm surprised Honda didn't act upon this sooner , Thats put me off one straight away. Hope the FK2's hold out better

They did but only up to 3 yrs or 90k
The same hapends on the jazz as well at the rear
There was quite a few bulletins on the fn2 when the 1st brought them out

I'm surprised Honda didn't act upon this sooner , Thats put me off one straight away. Hope the FK2's hold out better

It's nothing new. Plenty of EP3s leak into the boot. DC5s are known for it with the, "Fix," being to drill drain holes in the spare wheel recess...

That being said, the fit and finish on the 9th Gen Civic in general, let alone the FK2 CTR (all 9th Gen hatches have the FK2 chassis code) is leagues ahead, But if it leaks in 10 years time, I wouldn't be surprised.

Ok, last question for tonight. This windscreen reseal - if the water is collecting where it is, is it possible it's getting in past a perished windscreen seal? I don't want to throw money away if that's not the likely cause.

Thanks to everyone for replying so far.

In the 9 years FN2s have been around, I've never had to remove and re-seal a windscreen due to a water ingress. 9 times out of 10 it's always under the roof trim.

If it was the screen the ingress wouldn't be in that area, it would run down the bulkhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to chase, jizzy, but I don't suppose you had any luck with that bulletin or any other guide that would help?

Many thanks.

Sorry mate i couldnt find it , after all it was approx 8yrs ago , im pretty sure it will be coming from the roof gutters thow

Cheers for looking. I assume running sealant the whole way down the channel over the join would be fine or is there a particular process to resealing this?

I've been looking for a guide on removing the molding strip from the roof. I thought there was one where a guy removed them to clean under it, but could have been a different forum. Either way, I can't find any. Does anyone know how they come off? I don't want to break all the clips by just yanking at the strip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd update this thread just for anyone else that comes up against the same issue in future.

I found a decent video on Youtube of an American guy removing the roof molding from his Accord. This process is virtually identical for the FN2 and I would imagine all FN/FK models.
[video]https://youtu.be/GTkljwRffzc[/video]

Anyway, got the molding off and started from the back by running seal the whole way down the join. At the point where the molding would meet the scuttle panel under the windscreen, I noticed 2 sizable gaps, that could be letting water down into the cavity I put up photos of before. I sadly didn't think to photograph that area but filled it with seal as well and then put the molding back on.

With the recent good weather, I had raised the carpet and left the windows open to dry out the underfelt. I've been checking the cavity where the water gathered and under the carpet periodically (especially after rainfall) and so far, so good, the footwell is still dry.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, especially @jizzy who saved me a lot of money with his advice. Thanks again.

My dad's 57 plate Civic is leaking water in to the boot area from the rear top roof moulding (above the rear hatch glass)
Tiniest pinhole leak in the weld (near side) - as said earlier also happens on Jazz's.

My dad is as tight as a ducks chuff. So he's not going to get it fixed, and just hope it doesn't happen again. :rolleyes:
£100 or so seems money well spent imo.

I might just get it booked in and pay for it for him. He's 75 and really doesn't want to have to buy a new car or worry about the old one rusting to bits lol

Back