• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 The New Type R vs The Stig

Right... Cocked up the spelling in the title... i can edit my post but not the title it seems.. is this right..:confused:

Fixed..... i'm not sure on the whole users editing their thread titles though.... goto the FN2 forum and try double clicking on the same line as your thread as see if it lets you edit the title...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one review I have been waiting for for the FN2 since its launch, the Stig's lap around the test track. I must confess to being one of the harshest critics on here of the FN2, as for me its become too soft for the badge it sports, more Type S than Type R. So I have been looking forward to seeing the lap time it would manage in the hands of a certain tame racing driver, just to see if my fears have been justified.

Top Gear brought along six other cars to keep it company and to put its lap time in perspective. Interestingly they didnt bring the new Clio (I expect Renault are still trying to get the stains out of the upholstery after Evo borrowed it) choosing its bigger brother the Megane instead. Here are the cars they tested:

HONDA CIVIC TYPE R: 198bhp/142lbft/1267kg/156bhp-tonne
RENAULTSPORT MEGANE TEAM F1 R26: 229bhp/228lbft/1345kg/170bhp-tonne
VW GOLF EDITION 30: 229bhp/221lbft/1528kg/150bhp-tonne
SEAT LEON CUPRA: 238bhp/221lbft/1375kg/173bhp-tonne
MAZDA 3 MPS: 256bhp/280lbft/1483kg/172bhp-tonne
VAUXHALL ASTRA VXR: 237bhp/236lbft/1393kg/170bhp-tonne
FORD FOCUS ST: 222bhp/236lbft/1362kg/163bhp-tonne

Stig blasted the cars round for several laps each and recorded the following best times for each:

CIVIC: 1.34.3
SEAT: 1.33.5
FOCUS: 1.33.5
GOLF: 1.32.6
MAZDA: 1.32.0
ASTRA: 1.32.0
MEGANE: 1.30.6

Stig was dissapointed with the Golf and Seat for having terrible ABS, causing chronic understeer and a tendancy to go straight on in bends, saying both were far from maximising their available tyre grip. The Mazda was also criticised for duff braking that hampered progress, and a rubbery gearchange that hindered things further. The Astra he described as "Nigh on perfect", saying its overly aggressive turbo delivery was its only downpoint. And the Megane he described as more a trackday special than an actual hot hatch, accrediting its laptime advantage to its super-hard suspension set up and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres. The Focus was heavily praised along with the CTR, Stig saying that they felt the most well rounded of the seven. The Civic was in the end the one he gave the nod to, citing its steering feel and mechanical grip for praise, a superbly controllable package, even if the weight transfer from rear to front under heavy braking can cause slight tail wag. So there you go then, Top Gear (Or the Stig at least) says the new CTR is now the best hot hatch on the market (For the record they DID list the Mini Cooper S and 197 Clio as 5th and 6th respectively). All things considered the CTR hasnt done too badly then in this test. Sure it may have posted the slowest lap time, but considering its the only normally aspirated engine in the field, and that some of the other cars (Mazda and Focus) have larger capacity engines too, it not all doom and gloom.

So time to eat my words then? A little maybe, but in the main Im still unconvinced. I cant help but think how well it could have gone had it not been afflicted with retro-graded rear suspension and extra weight over the EP3. The whole thing justs seems toned down in relation to the CTR than went before it. And though its softer set up may help it win praise on the road, I cant help but think something with the Type R badge on it should have been getting similar comments to the Megane R26, and not the Focus ST. Still, I cant think Honda will have much trouble shifting them now. :cool:

I have a feeling the Clio would've upset the whole group had it come along.

I have a feeling the Clio would've upset the whole group had it come along.

Well Stig posted a 1.33.8 in the previous 182 Cup. But seeing as the new 197 is heavier and slower in a sprint as a result, its laptime is likely to have been little if any better.

Well Stig posted a 1.33.8 in the previous 182 Cup. But seeing as the new 197 is heavier and slower in a sprint as a result, its laptime is likely to have been little if any better.

About 1.5 seconds slower than the 182 Cup around Bedford I hear ;) The F1 Clio and then the Cup 197 should close the gap but the extra weight counts against it, The 197 makes ALL its time up on the brakes and speed to the apex, the 4 pot brembos are exactly the same as on the race car, so it's comical watching VXRs leave you for dead in a straight line before passing them as they are slowing down and you have 10m left before you look at the brakes. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
1 34.3 the EP3 kicked its arse didnt it!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 32.8 was the old EP3's time from what I remember thats miles after 10 laps:eek: :cool:

Back