• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Think a shopping trolley hit my EP3...

Only had her a few days and loving every minute inside the car! Went to Halfords yesterday and didn't realise at the time but it appears someone has hit the passenger side with either a door or shopping trolley...

15527423.jpg

10051355.jpg

I've read through all the threads on here about it but it's in such a weird place I'm not sure what to do...There's a small dent which isn't really visible but the deep scratch is doing my head in. Any possibility a DIY job could fix it or am I looking at a call to Chips Away at the very least? :mad:

Any advice is massively appreciated!

Rob

if the dent has no sharp edges you could possibly get away with just popping the dent out. Can;t really tell in the picture, is the dent inside back to bare metal? If so it'll need some type of treating to prevent corrosion. On my car I had a couple of simular nicks and dents and I have treated mine with one of those pen/paint touch up kits they do at halfrauds, untill I decided upon what to do. The kit isnt a perfect match, but at least the metal is protected. Maybe with a couple of washes or some treatment it'll match better.

TG

if the dent has no sharp edges you could possibly get away with just popping the dent out. Can;t really tell in the picture, is the dent inside back to bare metal? If so it'll need some type of treating to prevent corrosion. On my car I had a couple of simular nicks and dents and I have treated mine with one of those pen/paint touch up kits they do at halfrauds, untill I decided upon what to do. The kit isnt a perfect match, but at least the metal is protected. Maybe with a couple of washes or some treatment it'll match better.

TG

It does look like it's gone to the metal in the bad bit, which is why I want to get it sorted in some way asap. I hadn't thought about getting the dent out myself, would it be wise to attempt that before starting any touch up? Am a bit worried I'll make things worse if I fiddle with it but I have to do something!

if you are going to attempt to take the dent out then yeah, touch up after. If your not sure and nothing might be done for a while I would just primer it or something just to be on the safe side on protecting the metal. If you take it to a local body shop they might have some advice or a cheap quote :)

These things happen. If you get it repaired, it'll only happen again.

Cut your losses and leave it as a car park battle wound.

Jermal makes a point, I have a couple of little "war wounds" on my car. Just make sure you treat the bare metal, my old feista died from rust from a scratch on the rear quarter

Thanks for the tips guys. I've ordered a load of AutoGlym and a touch up kit so I'll have a crack at blending the wound in a bit. :D

About the primer on the metal, is it OK to apply some and leave it bare for a while?

Is this part of the scratch on the left side in the red box? If so, this part would easily polish out with a machine. As for the worst part on the right, polishing may also improve the appearance by rounding the edges off.

88968433.jpg

Yeah there are a load of scratches like that on the left that lead to the impact. Hopefully they will all polish out as they don't go to the metal, the bit on the right will be the tricky part I think!

Well I've been busy working on this! The good news is that all of the black crap on the right of the original pictures turned out to be paint, on the edge it did go right down to the metal and the touchup paint has done a pretty good job on that. My next step is to tackle the scratches that lead to the impact, none of these are deep at all, I've already gone over them with SRP twice and they are slightly less noticeable but not a massive improvement really. I'm looking at getting a more aggressive product to have a go at these but I'm not sure how Honda paint will hold up to these?

Haven't read great things about ScratchX...am very tempted by a bit of this P1 as it's rated very highly. My concern is I will go too mad with it and go right through the clearcoat! :(

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/polishing/p1-nanocomposite-polish/

So is it crazy to try and if so are there any other products anyone can recommend for this type of thing?

I presume you will attempt to hand polish and not with a machine? I bought this P1 polish before I got a DA orbital machine polisher and it did round the edges of some scratches but I was never massively impressed by it. I think it's highly recommended as a hand polish mainly because it's easy to apply and it doesn't dry up, but still it's no comparison to a machine that will remove minor scratches in minutes. and I think you could be polishing all day without removing too much clearcoat. If you do it try it make sure you get a relatively aggressive foam pad thing or you will get nowhere. The german one is good.

Thanks for the advice! I have been pondering a machine polisher for a while now, can pick up some decent ones for about 60 quid which seems pretty good value for what they offer...I was hoping that maybe an aggressive hand polish could do the trick in some way but what you've just said kind of pushes me towards just taking the plunge and getting a machine! I have been going on about it for a while and most people say I'm mad even considering it but they don't understand how OCD I get about my type r. :D

i know exactly what your saying. im super OCD about my CTR, think im getting a machine polisher / random orbital jobby on pay day. Want to see if I can get 90% of the swirls off my car.

looking at the pic your going to have to have it repaired prof. a paintless dent remover wont get into the back of that dind as its too close the the edge of the skin/door frame. some companys use glue sticks to pull the dents out but you wont get it out right without a small amount of filler, then painting it you will have to get the colour blended into the other pannle which will get rid of your scratches. please not this would be the correct way around repairing this although many people would try diy themselves. at the end of the day if your fussy enough for this to bother you then a diy job wont be up to scratch to make it right

looking at the pic your going to have to have it repaired prof. a paintless dent remover wont get into the back of that dind as its too close the the edge of the skin/door frame. some companys use glue sticks to pull the dents out but you wont get it out right without a small amount of filler, then painting it you will have to get the colour blended into the other pannle which will get rid of your scratches. please not this would be the correct way around repairing this although many people would try diy themselves. at the end of the day if your fussy enough for this to bother you then a diy job wont be up to scratch to make it right

The dent doesn't really bother me for now, I don't notice it but the scratches are overly visible in daylight. So far I've just cleaned up the the whole dent and it left only a deep scratch on the edge of the dent that went to the metal (the dark stuff in the dent was actually just paint or something). I've used touch up paint on the bare metal and it looks much better already. Been working so much I've had to leave it at that for over a week which at least gave it plenty of time to set. Next step I'll be sanding the tough up slightly and then polishing both panels with a machine polisher...turns out my old man has a machine polisher already!

Something I'm wondering is what kind of polish can be used on touch up paint and clearcoat? I am looking at getting something like P1 or ScratchX but I'm not sure how touch up will hold up against this?

Back