• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Thinking About An EP3 - Help...

Hello, im new to the forum and i don't own a type R but i am seriously thinking about getting one and thought this is the best place to look and get the info....

I just sold my Nissan Pulsar GTIR didnt want to because it never let me down but it was time for a change, im driving a 1.2 Clio now and its not enough...

I was wondering if i could get some help from you guys who know a lot more than me

What am i looking out for basically, what should i steer clear of, any obvious faults or anything i should look for, any things i should try and get on my EP3.

At the moment its a toss up between a Civic Type R or a 150BHP Diesel golf...

Any comments will help

Cheers

Well the difference between a CTR and Golf TDI is going to be vast.

If your asking us I would have thought that all people would say the CTR, due to asking a Type R club. The golf will seem very sluggish and sloppy compared to a Civic.

What's your budget?

Sorry maybe you should ignore the Golf comment, it was really just what i was looking for before i thought of the Civic

Just really what i should look out for or help with whats best to get etc...

I think EP3s are pretty reliable, if generally looked after. Eg. make sure engine oil is topped up, coolant is topped up, those kind of things. ;)

I have my 52 plate 4 years now and nothing has gone wrong yet, though I only do about 6k miles a year. :)

8-9K will get you a Premier with lowish miles now. I bought my NHB 55 Plate Premier with only 23k miles for 8.5k and that was 6 weeks ago.

Just make sure it has full service history, check for obvious wear and tear, check oil. Do a check to see if it's been any accidents etc. Check paintwork, check see how worn clutch is, try and take it for a test drive yourself if buying private.

There pretty bullit proof to be honest, not a lot can go wrong with em if there looked after properly. Oh also try and get 2 keyfobs and make sure the locking nut is there to hehe, and oh and the D player code!

common faults on them afaik are

Steering rack
Gearbox issues (specially 2nd gear)
Camber issues on lowered cars, easily sorted
The first 2 issues are pretty expensive to sort tho

Make sure its had regular oil changes as the CTR goes through the black stuff quite fast

I bought the wifes EP3 on an 04 plate (facelift), 36k mls with fsh for £7k so you'll find a last of the line low mileage for your budget no bother

Back