• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 This is why i love the civic type-r

Does anyone else sometimes find it hard to stay in the zone? You end up staring at the tacho instead of looking at the road lol. I think it should of been 5500rpm the same as the FN2. My mate once made a comment about hacking the ecu so that it was always on vtec cam and it made me wonder if possible - would the low down power be all that different to what we currently get?

Other than that the car is fantastic, the light weight, the turn in, the gearbox and wow the throttle response. I sometimes enjoy holding a steady throttle in 2rd or 3rd gear at about 3500rpm to be able to floor the accelerator and to feel that instant punch forwards. Not looking forward to the inevitable return to the world of turbo lag and electronic throttle control at some stage!

Does anyone else sometimes find it hard to stay in the zone? You end up staring at the tacho instead of looking at the road lol. I think it should of been 5500rpm the same as the FN2. My mate once made a comment about hacking the ecu so that it was always on vtec cam and it made me wonder if possible - would the low down power be all that different to what we currently get?

Other than that the car is fantastic, the light weight, the turn in, the gearbox and wow the throttle response. I sometimes enjoy holding a steady throttle in 2rd or 3rd gear at about 3500rpm to be able to floor the accelerator and to feel that instant punch forwards. Not looking forward to the inevitable return to the world of turbo lag and electronic throttle control at some stage!

Look into getting it remapped. Even a standard car will gain a good 20-30bhp in the midrange with a slightly lower vtec point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good replies... I'm going down the remap route as it is all to easy to drop out of vtec unless you are super accurate with your shifts ( just like I was not in my video haha ) a lower vtec point will be beneficial in real world driving and the higher rev limit is also nice :)

fao ninja9 - Cpl do a reflash which is basically a hondata k100 with a base map on it for induction/exhaust mods and this also lowers vtec to 5200rpm and limit to 8600.

http://www.cplracing.co.uk/products.php?productid=45 this is what i will be doing as I'm only going as far as induction / exhaust mods for now, but can also be live mapped at a later date too for even better results.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reflash is okay as a stop gap but I wouldn't be happy with it permanently. The cold starts can be bad in the winter. Revs it's head off for ages, everytime you come to a stop the revs fire up again for the first 5-10 mins. I had to delete the vac Isle air assist valve to make it slightly better. But as soon as I can I'll be getting a proper map. Quite a few people have had the same problems so I've heard.

On the other side, it definitely pulls better and it's got power a bit sooner which helps!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I think it's a characteristic of the generic reflash. I've heard a lot of people with the same problem and it's only really when it's cold. My commute is about 10 mins each way, and the high idle gets really annoying. It is much better with the idle air assist valve deleted, but still annoying.

Just waiting for M2 to release the new inlet manifold and then I'll pop down to eurospec and hopefully have the issue sorted.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Look into getting it remapped. Even a standard car will gain a good 20-30bhp in the midrange with a slightly lower vtec point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20-30hp from a CPL reflash or remap?
I can't see how either of these would give those gains.

This isn't the CPL reflash, but a full custom tune on a standard EP3 from Eurospec2000. I would assume the gains to be similar to the CPL reflash.
As you see, massive gains in the mid range.
00ddfd5769f74beecb91b2dfe9541c93.png

Still not convinced. It just shows the Vtec kicking in earlier than standard (which would show as more power earlier) and the stock power looks down on standard. Admittedly there is a marginal overall power gain.

Surely the power being there earlier is beneficial?! The aim of the game is to have as much area under the dyno graph as possible. There is considerably more after the remap. Happy days!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Still not convinced. It just shows the Vtec kicking in earlier than standard (which would show as more power earlier) and the stock power looks down on standard. Admittedly there is a marginal overall power gain.

Just lowering the vtec point won't give you that hike in power. The mapping of these cars isn't that simple. 6 tables of mapping for fuel and ignition for each the low cam and high cam. So 12 tables of ignition and fuelling has to be mapped for 0-50° of cam angle.
Optimising the cam phasing gives you this big boost in power in mid range and you lose that Honda marketing 'vtec kick'.
As for the power figures. Each dyno reads different. The dyno dynamics machine at eurospec is notoriously known for being the 'heart breaker' compared to say TDI North which seems to read bang on manufacture quotes.

Back