• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ticking noise when accelerating (Help)

Hi my ep3 has a ticking noise when accelerating, it doesnt do it when i rev the car in idle or if am driving and put my foot on the clutch it doesnt do it only when in gear accelerating.

It feels like the car isnt as responsive and it sounds like the exhaust doesnt sound right but i just got a new backbox about 2 month ago so it could be me just being paranoid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

sounds clutch or gearbox related. I was going to say noisy injectors but if its not doing it in idle or out of gear then I doubt its that.

I hope its the manifold because i keep saying i wanted a new one so force me in to it lol.

If its the gearbox or clutch i'll be gutted.

It does sound like exhaust thing though because am pretty sure it sounds different from what it use to, am sure it will get worse longer i leave it though so getting it checked out tomorrow.

Cheers guys

I just put the standard air box back on my ep3 instead of the cheap filter that was on it. Now hearing more clearly I have this ticking noise only when I put the foot down when driving. I don't know much of mechanics but can I check myself for this cat gasket?

I took mine to kwik fit to check the cat and they checked it for free then just got them to replace the gasket when I had been to Honda.

ok not bad, well I have 3 months warranty from the garage i bought from so might just go to them. hope its the same problem you had nice and cheap. it sounds awful when accelerating!! lol

Is the engine management light on? it might not come on but if its really bad it probably will if that's what it is. I don't really know that much but would get it checked case its anything more serious like timing chain.

Nope its not on, me either but I did just put the standard airbox back in and that's when I first heard it. Could possibly be related to that, got a hks kit from my mate gonna try that on and see.

looked underneath, where the exhaust joins to the manifold there's 2 bolts that go through 2 springs? well one springs gone and looks like the bolts snapped too!

Thats probably your problem then, just phone honda tell them you need the gasket kit with botls and springs think its about £15 £20 or pm hendy in the traders section.

Not sure if they do bolts and springs seprate but its cheap just to do gasket etc anyway while the bolts are off getting replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back