• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing Chain and Tensioner problem

Hy Everybody

I have a problem with my 05 CTR the car has 55k miles

I can hear a rattle sonud at about 2000 rpm and it comes from the chain area.

What do you think? I think it's the tensioner, or the chain! Sould I change both or just the tensioner? I've already removed the heat shield :)

Thanks for any advice

I'm back again! I took down the header heatshield but i don't notice any different! maybe a bit better don't know :(

BTW I'd like to ask when sould I replace the chain tensioner? I've been told at 75k mile because it can fail !

AFAIK the service schedule is just a check at 75k and replace if necessary.

Thanks so than till 75k I should not worry? I still have the hissing sound.. soneone told me it comes from the intake box and from the timing area.

Is it a standard intake or aftermarket? Aftermarket ones will hiss a fair amount.

i've just had my chain, guides and tensioner replaced and completely got rid of my rattle. If you look at my started threads, i've got a video of my rattle, at first it was just about audible and then got increasingly louder... In the end my tensioner was shot and costed around 290 quid but was well worth it :D

Back