• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing Chain Check

Hi all,

Owner of Type R Ep3 that's just crossed the wrong side of 111,000 miles.

Car History for background:
Car has been generally well cared for across it's life, well serviced and oiled but it did spend a relatively long period seeing seldom use. It hasn't regularly been ragged, but at least partially due to inexperienced driver it has had a new gearbox and clutch previously (~90,000 miles). No other signs of mistreatment, but the rear brake callipers have also both had to be replaced since I've owned it (but I understand this to be fairly common).

Question:
As far as I can tell, looking at the service history it's never had a timing chain replacement, which is why I'm putting this post together. I've no reason to suspect it's an issue but I'd like to check it for piece of mind. Question is, is this something I can take a look at myself in the garage if I lift the cam cover (needs a proper clean anyhow), or would I be clueless without checking it into a mechanics? If so, anyone got any experience on what the price might be for a check?

Grateful also if anyone's got an indication of how likely it is to be knackered based on car history.

Cheers,
HondaCurious

I had mine done a few months ago. Similar mileage as yours. Along with an MOT, major service (plugs, filters and all oils) and a new water pump. Was about £1300 all in.

Pretty sure the timing chain kit was £255. So if you add labour onto that it'll give you a rough price.

Back