• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing chain day.

So I gathered the parts in the week and set about replacing the chain today. Cars done 95k and is a 2004. So thought it was time do tick that off the list. First problem I had was removing the crankshaft pulley bolt! Man that bugger was tight. Even with the sealy tool to hold it whilst undoing it was still mega tight. This however brought the first problem. I noticed that I could not time the engine using the marks on the pulley, it became clearer once I removed the pulley as it fell apart in 2 bits. The rubber (dampening) part had completely came apart. I would recommend you check yours as I had no noise or clues to this. And this drives the water pump, power steering and so on so it's very important. It had started to eat it's way through the chain cover also!! Anyway broken pulley removed engine timed up using the inner timing mark and it was clear there was stretch. The cam pulleys were roughly a tooth out between them. I removed the chain, cleaned all mating surfaces and installed the new chain and tensioner. All back together I put the pulley back together just so I could run it up and check for leaks. Cars now in the workshop where it will stay until honda deliver the new pulley and idler which I also found had a rough bearing!. Pic of the old and new chain tbh in the light of day not stretched that much but glad I did it otherwise the pulley would of fallen off and put me in the *****.

Job took about 4 hours and a fair bit of skin!!

77f091e89177558211998b7bfdabc0a1.jpg

e8563b69b83877f005924d58ea5427cb.jpg

Will go and get a power run done soon and see where she's at.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, always spannering. Just replaced bottom pulley and guide and all's quiet :)
e6c8ed3989f704f5f5826f3849b02038.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back