• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing Chain Help Needed

Picking up my first Type R ep3 tommorow, it's on 72K I'm not sure if the 70/75K service has been carried out, from what I understand this service checks the valve clearances and checks the condition of the chain, it is not a "you must replace the chain now" service, is this correct ? If so, when does the chain need doing ? And how much should I be looking to pay? Thanks.

The chain is supposed to be for the life of the engine and not on the schedule.

Personally, I'd get it done around 100k though.

Chain and tensioner are about £200, plus around 3-4 hours labour. You may get it cheaper if you are having other work done at the same time.

Nice one!, this clears things up, I'll get the car booked in for its chain and valve checks at TDI north, any tell tale signs for the chain needing doing ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than it being noisy on startup which is more tensioner related, you can't really tell unless it slips or you're looking at it.

The condition varies depending on what sort of life it has had.

Nice one!, this clears things up, I'll get the car booked in for its chain and valve checks at TDI north, any tell tale signs for the chain needing doing ? Thanks

At 75k you dont need to worry about it. When the chain has stretched significantly enough for the tensioner not be able to compensate, it will rattle when you let off the gas from higher rpms. And/or throw a code. I changed my chain at 110k and it was about 5mm longer than the new one. I changed it because i was hunting a different issue and had no idea where to start, but it didnt needed changing.

Changed mine at 43k on my FN2 because it was worn and was slipping over the cam gears when being timed up, mainly due to the aggressive cams I was running, but like I said it depends on the life it has had.

Everyone will be different no doubt. You can't say they'll be fine, you can't say they won't be.

The chain is supposed to be for the life of the engine and not on the schedule.

Personally, I'd get it done around 100k though.

Chain and tensioner are about £200, plus around 3-4 hours labour. You may get it cheaper if you are having other work done at the same time.

Do you need to buy the 3 pcs chain guide set also?

Do you need to buy the 3 pcs chain guide set also?
If the chain is very slack and has been putting a lot of wear on the guides then yes, but again it is something you will only really know when you inspect them. Less likely than the chain though to be honest.

Back