• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing chain needs replacing

Hey everyone just wondering does anybody know a decent place I could take my ep3 type r to get the timing chain replaced? Only place I can think of is Honda dealer. I'm based in norwich.

Thanks

Depends what you call decent? Honda won't be cheap.

TGM in Fleet will do it for a good price, but it's a bit of a drive (but worth it). 01252 811972.

how do you notice if the chain needs replacing, does it make a lot of noise?

If it streatches and you may feel it a bit down on power. If it jumps more than 3 teeth the EML comes on.
HTH.

Had mine fitted at Honda (Crewe) and was surprised with the price :) £260.

Did supply the chain and Toda tensioner myself ;) so all in about £500.

Did have a link to a website which showed a DIY fix but for the life of me I couldn't undo the bottom pulley :(
Broke an easy bar at the knuckle and I can do 25 kgs on arms:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you notice if the chain needs replacing, does it make a lot of noise?

At the moment my engine management light is on and its displaying the error code P0341. Honda believes the timing chain needs replacing - they quoted £650 which included parts and labour. However i'm not 100% certain that this is the case.

If it streatches and you may feel it a bit down on power. If it jumps more than 3 teeth the EML comes on.
HTH.

I've tried clearing the fault and the light will stay off for about 1 day. When the light is off the car runs fine, vtec is strong as usual, but as soon as the EML is on....no vtec for me!

Yes, thats because as soon as the EML comes on it will go into safe mode to protect the engine. You should get it looked at ASAP.

I've tried clearing the fault and the light will stay off for about 1 day. When the light is off the car runs fine, vtec is strong as usual, but as soon as the EML is on....no vtec for me!

That's what happen to mine aswell, ran well for a day but EML light always came back on.

What's happened is the chains jumped a few teeth and there is a very easy way to check which you can do yourself.

Take off the cam cover and rotate the chain and check the marks on chain and pulleys match up!

I'd do this asap as if the chain jumps more you could end up with bent valve or something worse.

There's an how to I found which I will post when I'm on a pc as on iPhone at mo.

Cant seem to find the link but do have it saved on my home PC

Anyway I will descirbe what I recall for now
htup_1005_01_o+honda_k_series_tensioner+gears.jpg

Align the 2 marks on the 2 pulleys as shown (eg 3 and 9 o'clock) and also the different coloured chain links with the arrow and dot (there are 3 different coloured links)

You rotate the chain by using the bottom pulley and a 19mm socket (if I recall)

Also on the bottom pulley there is a V notch and a dot which should also align at the same time!

If any of these are outta line you've got a problem:( and I feel for you as I've been there!

Remember!!!!!!!!!! check the oil regular or buy a better tensioner

aup mate just read your post and was just wondering were you got the chain kit from and were about in crewe you got it done as iam from stoke and need mine doin and honda want £750 off me 4 the pleasure!!

aup mate just read your post and was just wondering were you got the chain kit from and were about in crewe you got it done as iam from stoke and need mine doin and honda want £750 off me 4 the pleasure!!

Bought the chain and had the work done both at Stuart Graham.
But that was separately, as at first I was going to fit myself.
Also price was also quoted before holdcroft took over, hence why you might be seeing a big hike in price :(

How many Km/Miles on the CTR? Sounds like something I wouldn't want to happen!
I'm near 80.000km now (+-50.000Miles) so I'm almost in for a big big maintenance...

I'd better check for this too, never knew this was even possible!

How many Km/Miles on the CTR? Sounds like something I wouldn't want to happen!
I'm near 80.000km now (+-50.000Miles) so I'm almost in for a big big maintenance...

I'd better check for this too, never knew this was even possible!

Seen a few that need chain replaced around 60.000miles

Back