• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

timing chain skipped a cog

alryt. I'm just wondering i'm looking at a 02 type r civic bt the timing chain has skipped a cog but the guy has put in new pulleys and engine mounts etc and was wondering if it worth buying or would there be future problems

Cheers

alryt. I'm just wondering i'm looking at a 02 type r civic bt the timing chain has skipped a cog but the guy has put in new pulleys and engine mounts etc and was wondering if it worth buying or would there be future problems

Cheers

Hi,

Just watch the text speak, one of the forum rules: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?69042-View-on-Text-Speak

If the chain has jumped some teeth, that means the cams would have been out of the correct timing that they should have been set at. Some members have run cars for a few weeks before getting this diagnosed and once resolved, then have not had any issues.

However if you think about it, if the timing was out, there is always the potential for a valve was open at the wrong time which then could have made contact with the piston. It is not likely if it jumped one tooth, but you never know. If it jumped a few teeth, it gets worrying. Valves, valve train, pistons all need checking and/or replacing.

You also need to look at why the chain jumped.

• If it is stretched, it has the potential to do it again if it has not been replaced.
  • If was the tensioner, then fine it has been resolved.
  • If it was run low on oil, the chain can jump, avoid because it hasn't been looked after properly. What else have they neglected etc.
  • If it has been over-revved (i.e. on downshift) and as long as the chain hasn't stretched, the timing has been reset and there was no valve contact, it should be OK.
If the timing is now set correctly, the cams are lined up properly, the chain isn't stretched and the valves didn't make contact with the pistons, in all honesty it should be OK. The K20 engines are very strong, as long as they are well looked after.

However, there are lots of Type Rs out there for sale. If it were me I would look for another one without the issues involved here.

X2, you'd have to be a bit mad really. That's a heck of a chance to take, I always go for the worst case scenario when buying a car that 'could' have issues....

Worst case really on that, top end rebuild I'd say. More than enough to make me walk away.

How recently did the skip happen and cogs replaced? If it's a week --> a month ago, I'd be thinking really bad things, why spend that money then sell it very shortly after..... etc!

The timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced and possibly upgraded with a hybrid racing or skunk2 unit.

Back