• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing chain & tensioner

Some clear advice would be great.

After reading on fb pages, speaking to the previous owner of my ep3 and My local Honda dealer, I’m getting very mixed advice on when to change the timing chain, tensioner and guides etc… So far I’m sticking to what Honda told me. I was told the chain should not need changing. But lots of people say over time it’s best to change it. My cars done 140,000 even after speaking to Honda they tell me it shouldn’t need doing even at that mileage unless it’s necessary. Honda quoted me £900. ( I’ve brought a replacement chain, guides etc)

Others say the chain can stretch and is worth changing if the car has done more than 100,000 miles. Engine is fine smooth no grinding or ticking sounds. So if it ain’t broke why fix it? Also let me just get my tin foil hat on I don’t want to disturb the engine. Opinions please. However I’ve got the parts and for piece of mind I think it’s worth changing.

Cheers Ollie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult one really, ultimately it's your decision, you can get it inspected, had mine inspected and all was good tight etc but mine has had a good life, no track days etc.

If you know it's been tracked, thrashed or abused at that mileage get it done, if you know it's had an easier life than some, leave it.

Or get it inspected out of peace of mind, you may also want to consider the guides.

If you are going to get it done, I would do the whole log, chain, tensioner and all guides.

On a personal note, because I am a bit OCD at 140k I would get it done but that is me , as I said ultimately it's your decision really.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice.

Hi point is that you do not need to create the same topic multiple times.

Generally speaking, and it depends on how the car has been treated, is that 100k is a good time to replace the chain regardless of what Honda tell you.

There is a way where you can tell how much the chain has stretched, but I don't think it's a guaranteed way. Personally, I would have it changed as the cost to change it is significantly less than the cost of repairing an engine where the chain has broke, or a replacement engine, or a replacement car.

Sorry for the three topics new to the forum and wanted to generate more answers. I’ve tried to delete the other two however I cannot see a way to do so. Thanks for the time and advice I’ve got l the guides as well. Agreed I think at 140k it’s worth doing when I’ve got the cash. Was very surprised what I got told at Honda.

Hey man,

I recently had my timing chain and guides changed on my 100,000 miles, 2006 EP3.

The engine is standard and not had the chain changed since new.

I wasn't told it needed to be done and didn't suspect anything that lead me to believe it needed to be done - but for peace of mind, I wanted it done. I feel it's a great bit of preventative maintenance to carry out on a 17 year old, 100'000 mile car.

Upon having the work done, my mechanic pointed out how much the chain had stretched and that one of the guides had also snapped.

More info and details of the whole service here fella, which I paid £900 for, hope this helps.

***Old on the left, new on the right
Chain.jpg

Runner.jpg

Last edited:
Back