• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tinny Rattle from engine bay

Today I noticed a distinct tinny rattling between 1.5k rpm and 2.8k-3k rpm. I had checked the oil a few days previous and it seemed fine, upon checking the oil, it was low, just beneath the first circle. I was a bit concerned since the oil warning light didn't come on. Listening to the engine, the tinny rattle definately occurs at those rev ranges. I put in Mobil 0W 30 and the rattle remains. I suspect that maybe it could be a heat-shield. The car is exactly two years old, i had a look in the faults section FAQ, does this sound like a famililar story to anyone ? Going to book it into Honda asap. p.s. the left top corner bolt from the head is missing ?

Hmm. any ideas ... ???? Thanks, Lewis

p.s. the left top corner bolt from the head is missing ?

Hmm. any ideas ... ???? Thanks, Lewis

That bolt is not missing fella - iirc the JDM K20 lumps have a use for it whereas the UKDM models do not.

As for the rattle, sounds like a shield as you say, probably a simple fix and being under warranty I expect it to be sorted by your local stealer. :cool:

The bolt is supposed to be missing, and it sounds like a heatshield problem, probably drive shaft (drivers side) but check exhaust manifold heatshield as well, if that doesn't cure it get the car up in the air and check the heatshields along the length of the underside of the car, sometimes the one above the cat rattles.

Thanks for that, didn't realise there were so many heatshields, and feel a lot better about that missing bolt. Will book it in asap... cheers :) lewis

i've got a similar problem, when i first pull off in 1st there's a brief rattle for a couple of second which then stops. i've also found that the dash vibrates at precisely 72 mph and above on motorway driving. how do i phrase that to Honda when the law says i shouldn't exceed 70??

Hi Johnny, the tinny rattle turned out to be a cracked drive shaft heatshield, that's a simple warranty repair. And it's quite obvious to demonstrate it to them, but you might want to say that it sounds like the heatshield so they don't have to think more than they have to! In respects to the rattle, i had the rattle from day 1, at various speeds, and howling at 90mph plus! it's quirk of the car, they will investigate, even if it's at 72mph, they're not that predantic, because you could argue you were driving on a private road, and also they sell teh car on the basis it does 159 mph or something. Bring it to your local dealer for the heatshield repair and ask them to invesitgate an annoying rattle at 70mph! ;0) good luck.

Cheers lewisy!! i've got to pop to honda anyway on mon to buy the type r keyring, they couldn't sell it to me last saturday because there was no-one qualified to open the cabinet and sell it to me:confused: type r pen looked nice too:) i read a used CTR guide in a mag called "used car buyer" sometime near christmas last year and it said that nothing should creak or rattle which seems odd since the dash vibrates, something metallic rattles to my right below the chair every time i accelerate and the window rattles when its down halfway. doesn't stop me loving it though, my previous car was a clio 1.2, even the rattles complained about the noise when i had that.

my car is exactly two years old too, first registered sept 05, so an educated guess states my car has exactly the same fault as yours:rolleyes:

Just to update, car is going in to Honda next wed to be looked at, i mentioned the cracked drive shaft heatshield and the guy looked nonplussed. they also refuse to test the car for the vibrating dash as they won't take the car on the motorway, local A roads only have a 60 mph limit

Back