• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

To buy or not to buy

Hi guys...

Im looking for a bit of advice.

I had my heart set on a civic type r but having read through some of the posts about people selling up ect i am becoming a little turned away.

As a result of your experiences if you had you time again and you was in the market for a hot hatch would the type r be the car of your choice.

I have a very nice black 55 plate lined up but i dont know what to do.

Re: To buy or not to buy.

neely said:
Hi guys...

Im looking for a bit of advice.

I had my heart set on a civic type r but having read through some of the posts about people selling up ect i am becoming a little turned away.

As a result of your experiences if you had you time again and you was in the market for a hot hatch would the type r be the car of your choice.

I have a very nice black 55 plate lined up but i dont know what to do.

Welcome to the forum...

If it wasn't for a house purchase, i'd probably be still running round in mine at this point - To be honest i still miss it loads!

However, the new model is due out next March so prices are/will be affected by this... Quite a few people are still undecided about the new model, somepeople even hate it (cue Scouse at this point :lol: )

Do you like the new model would be the first question? If so then i'd wait... If i was back in the market for a hot hatch again i'd be looking at the ST range as i think they're pretty nice, but thats just me...

If you have the reddies now, you won't be dissapointed with if you buy a CTR, if you like the newer model hang on a bit i'd say. Alternatively, test drive a few different ones to see which floats your boat.

I have had a couple but nothing too serious....

16v clio and a williams infact i still have the williams.

Im thinking focus rs too. Want to get something now before i start thinking to seriously about a house...

I've had my type r two years and have not regreted a moment of it. It depends what you want from a car, i think the 172 cups are very cheap at the moment, as are the early type r's, if its a new car then defo CTR, you wont get a brand new ST, RS, VXR for the same money as a 55 plate CTR, the type r's are at the right money at the mo. The new CTR will be the make or break for the current type r, not many people like the styling, i think its ok, but its the drive i will need to sample before making my mind up. How much is the 55 plate you've seen? Personally which ever you choose your going to get alot of car for your money.

£13,995

it has rear tints and Air con.

Only 2000 miles, body wise its mint no stone chips etc but one of the wheels is slightly curbed.

£13.5k with the wheel repaired sounds like a very good deal and where i'd be coming from, Its a hard choice to make. You wouldnt get a decent RS or ST for that money or any of the other decent hot hatches barring the clio 182. My experience of owning a CTR makes me biased but i've owned other hot hatches to know the CTR is a great car, and the beauty is if you dont like it at that money you can always sell it. Personally you'll be hooked as soon as you know it! :wink:

Buy it, you'll not regret it. We all moan but what ever car we had we'd do the same. we all love the car.

Do it. I was set the choice of ST170 Focus, Mini Cooper S, Clio 172 etc.

I drove all three and plumped for the Civic. In my eyes it was the best of the bunch but opinions vary. Drive a few cars and base it on personal choice. :D

For me it'd be a choice between an Asbo orange Focus ST (the engine noise is :twisted: ) or the current CTR if I had a bit less to spend.

The new CTR is an ugly monstrosity waiting to be unleashed onto the general public. Just my opinion but I value it greatly. :lol:

The current CTR is a fantastic car when you look at it for what it really is - a Japanese hot hatch. It is not the best car in the world although alot of owners seem to give that impression. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you want a car that can drive through the town, go to the supermarket, drop the sprogs off at school and then attack the country lanes on the way home then get the CTR. 8)

Yes, there are other cars in a similar price bracket and performance range but Honda have produced a cracking package. Not as manic as previous Type R motors but aggressive enough to put that smile on the face each time you want to enjoy the car.

The 6 speed box is sweeter than candyfloss and when you work the box and revs well together you are rewarded with a fantastic result. 8)

Test as many cars as you can and then drive the CTR last - make sure you work the car during the test drive, ignore the pillock in the passenger seat. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Scouse.

Scousefella said:
The new CTR is an ugly monstrosity waiting to be unleashed onto the general public. Just my opinion but I value it greatly. :lol:

The current CTR is a fantastic car when you look at it for what it really is - a Japanese hot hatch. It is not the best car in the world although alot of owners seem to give that impression. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you want a car that can drive through the town, go to the supermarket, drop the sprogs off at school and then attack the country lanes on the way home then get the CTR. 8)

Yes, there are other cars in a similar price bracket and performance range but Honda have produced a cracking package. Not as manic as previous Type R motors but aggressive enough to put that smile on the face each time you want to enjoy the car.

The 6 speed box is sweeter than candyfloss and when you work the box and revs well together you are rewarded with a fantastic result. 8)

Test as many cars as you can and then drive the CTR last - make sure you work the car during the test drive, ignore the pillock in the passenger seat. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Scouse.

Well said Carl

Cheers Kev. 8)

It has to be said that what I have stated above is based on a standard CTR - if you wish to mod the car then you have alot of options and possibilities depending on budget and choice of direction. :D

shit hot, its good to here peoples opinions.

gona take my time a try a few like you all sugest. i'm thinking of waiting till after christmas before i make my mind up cpmpletly. If one comes along in the mean time i might just have to snap it up.

Have a look on autotrader and look for the one for ale in manchester, its a trader sale and the company is american pick up trucks. its a 55 plate NHB and only has 2000 miles on it. think im gona give this one a miss as it seems to good to be true.

It's a buyers market out there, you can't fail to find a belting example of a Civic R.

Don't be put off by people selling up, the majority seem to be selling to either fund a house or make the natural progression to a DC5 Integra (you might want to consider one of these, will be less affected by depreciation than the civic, but your money won'y buy you as new of a car), with a few people choosing the upgrade to a Scoob, Evo or Skyline.

I've had mine coming up for a year now and I've loved every minute of it. If you drive one half arsed, it won't reward you, and you'll prob leave the garage thinkin they're not very quick...

But, if you almost disregard everything anybody has told you about not 'thrashing' engines and having mechanical sympathy... They do move! :twisted: On a test drive, warm it up properly, then just short shift to second, plant it, revving it right round to 8000 rpm, shift...3rd to 8000, shift.... 4th. It's addictive and it makes me grin like an idiot! :D

The handling is spot on, quite neutral for a front drive car. Although I'd recommend taking any car you get (assuming your Manchester way) to TDi North or ABP in Warrington for a realignment. They really benifit from a proper/fast road alignment.

Furthermore, if you like to performance modify, it's perfect, the Honda modifying scene is huge. Naturally Aspirated, Supercharged or Turbocharged... 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5... The choice is yours! :twisted:

And lastly, it's pretty darn reliable, the K20A engine is a tough cookie which rarely goes wrong. There's countless cars running 280bhp at the flywheel without a hint of trouble, and circa 350bhp seems to be feasible on standard internals!

There are good alternatives out there, all worthy of a look and most, it has to be said, easier to drive fast. But for my money, It's my Civic all the way.

Col :D
(phew, my fingers hurt now...w@nkers cramp)

The ford asbo I find a bit ugly and is now becoming more common than the CTR round here :?

I love the look + sound of the RS focus though.

I was thinking of selling mine to help fund a new home, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'ts not bad for long distance drives (had to use it for work then I first got it) now it's a weekend car that I could prob live without, but it's too much fun blasting about in to give up.

ryansss said:
I love the look + sound of the RS focus though.

I like the RS too, I test drove one pre CTR purchase. The thing that i hated about it was the interior. It looks awful inside, and comparing the inside with a CTR it looks pretty dated too. That said I thought the Focus was marginally quicker in a straight line and the diff wasn't a problem at all. I guess I must have driven a good one given the comments Evo made about the several they've tried!

Back