• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Toda Clutch....Slipping! Argh!

My damn Toda clutch has started slipping, strangely though it only really seems to do it when the cars at lower revs (c. 2-3k) and you put your foot down. Bangi it through the gears and it's as positive as ever.

Thinking about it the pedal seems high also.

The bloody things only been on for 13,000 miles, and it's not used in anger really. Was fitted at the same time as a Toda fly. Anybody else had problems with uprated clutches slipping, particulartly Toda's.

Any chance it could be the slave cylinder?

Checked over it this weekend;

-Slave cylinder seems fine, no visible leaks.
-Inspection plate off and the clutch/flywheel appear dry (to try rule out an oil leak).

Flushed through some DOT 4 fluid and topped up the resevoir (was midway between min and max).... But, it's still slipping! :confused:

It's mainly a problem while the cars still warming up (which is really odd), and it slips noticably in the higher gears, pulling at low revs. Once it's finished slipping and has 'hold' of the flywheel, it never seems to slip again until you pick another cog (or disengage then re-engage the clutch).

The fact that it can still bite when it wants to, suggests to me that the friction material should still be present on the clutch plate, but I'm a bit puzzled TBH! :confused: .

I've got some DOT 5 coming, along with some Honda MTF Gearbox oil. I'll hand it over to my brother (Mechanic... handy!) to take it apart and inspect it. Replace what's necessary and build it back up.

I can feel a hefty bill coming...

------------------

On the same note my Toda Clutch has always made some noises. Is this normal (anybody else with one confirm)? I would imagine so. Sometimes it can judder/chatter on starts and also can make some noise as it starts to bite (particularly when cold), almost like a squeal. I've always presumed it was part of the character of an uprated clutch, but I'm starting to doubt that now as it's letting me down so early. :mad:
Especially when you combine it with the 3,500rpm launch control, you can't really abuse my clutch from a standing start. It's not like sidestepping it at 7,000rpm for a full bore launch.

Back