• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Top Mounts and Corner Weighting

I am booked into Powerstation for a set of AST coilovers and set up. I have the option of also going for front top mounts. I will be going for a more road biased set up, as I do not do track days (maybe 1 or 2 in the future). The roads I drive are the A and B roads of SW Devon, so not exactly the best surfaces!

Would there be any benefits of going for the top mounts with the coilovers. I understand that they help reduce unwanted movement in the OE rubber set up, and also can allow for further adjustments to camber etc... But do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of added ride harshness etc..

Also with the set up, I have the option of getting the car corner weighted. Will this be of any great benefit for daily road use, or is it more for the track enthusiast and race car driver.

From memory, the top mounts are approx £100, and the corner weighting is approx. £100+VAT.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

(PS: My Bilstein coilovers will be for sale very soon :wink: )

Gimme bilsteins :D

On a personal note, i dont think i'd bother with top mounts. Front camber bolts will provide you with enough negative camber, and top mounts can be quite crashy/noisy

Look good tho :p

Considering the amount of NVH I already have from the Alex engine mounts, and also I am used to the Jap spec Bilsteins, just how harsh/crashy are the top mounts. Its not like I am used to a smooth ride :lol:

I've just heard they can be quite 'clunky' under turning etc. As its basically metal on metal.

Never actually experienced them myself, as i had OEM Type-R top mounts on my Teins, but they were stiff/crashy enough :eek:

Top mounts are only good for track imo, and if you need to setup camber/caster through it.

But as you said your using it mainly as a road car, Eibach camber bolts (much cheaper option) will be better imho.

Upto you entirely mate. Im sure they look better than OEM Mounts though :p

I doubt that the top mounts will allow caster adjustment.

Paul, no point in these mate as long as the AST's allow camber adjustment as they are.

My D2's will allow upto -4.5 degrees or something on the leg, and even more on top mounts if I want but it's not worth paying extra for them.

Back