• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Top Mounts Problem !

Just fitted 35m lowering springs to my 2002 EP3,

First car looks bad ass and sitting just nice .......test drove it just and i seem to be getting a knock form the n/f when going over speed bumps and normal bumps in the road. (not to bad)

Then, when im turning anyway i get a knocking/banging just dont feel right and sound noise coming from behind the dash/maybe back engine area ( not wheels area i think )

Car seems fine over 20mph on the front knocking but is bad going slow (parking/turning but still has knock on n/f no matter what speed.

Befor i fitted the springs i did have a little knock at the front when turning sometimes but it seems alot worse.

Any info would be cool to help me start to find the problem out.

Many Thanks
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring Sleeve ??

Had a few m8s looking over it today and they say the same top mount rubbers ?

Noise is really bad *** sounds like a ping more than a knock.

Yeah, could be topmounts.

But did you fit the lowering springs with the spring sleeve from your OEM springs? It looks like a round rubber that needs to go to your new springs.

Yeah, could be topmounts.

But did you fit the lowering springs with the spring sleeve from your OEM springs? It looks like a round rubber that needs to go to your new springs.

hmmmm think i understand what you mean ......i did not fit the sleeves but still have them would it help if i fitted them aswell.

Just had a look and there was only rubber sleeves on back not on front ........so really not sure thats the problem as back is fine and is only knocking on the front.

Right i think its the top rubbers on mounts but i can't find anywere that sells them or even what the called ?? ( top mount rubbers ?)

Edit: im also thinking it could be springs not fitted right as in turning ?
like i said i get 3 pings when turning left .......

Yup thats what I'm talking about the little rubber sleeves that goes to your new springs.
I don't think you would need the rear sleeves on, try putting them on the front and see how you go.

Did you seat the springs proper when they were fitted? They sit in a certain position. If not they can knock

Ok so last night we had the front shocks off again, packed both sides with grease and checked all over to make sure there fitted right. Tested the car and it sounds even worse ?

Just paid for new top mounts shound be fitted for thursday then i will report back just hope it works.

Looks and sounds like the spring is moving then pings back but im not 100% sure. But then again i cant see it being anything else.

Thanks for all the replys :)

£55 for both sides, not ordering till the morning as its sunday and i would like to phone them first just to make sure there in stock.

Will be fitted same day i get the mounts and i will post back :)

Really hope it sorts the problem out its shocking to drive at the min as the pinging is soooooo loud. But the 35mm springs look fat and sits just right. (not to low) :)

Update:

Mounts fitted and all seems fine for first 5miles then i still have a knocking/clucking on n/s/f.

Only seems to happen when going slow, I have seen that my tyre on that side is worn down on the inside real bad but the others are fine.
Maybe balljoint/drop link ??

Changed the drop links around 2years ago when i first had the car.

Why not take it somewhere that can actually diagnose the issue rather than you just spending money on parts in the hope that it *might* solve the problem?

after many hours and loads of £££££ later it was spring sleeves :)

Thanks 4kas for your help :)

Back