• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Top rad hose

Hi All

Probably worrying over nothing as us car owners genuinely do from time to time but noticed the other day that my top radiator hose is getting really hot, when I say hot it's to the point were you can't hold your hand on it and it could quite possibly fry an egg haha

In car temp gauge is fine and coolant isn't boiling over from the radiator or expansion tank but just wondered if everyone's is the same? Don't get me wrong I expect the hose to give off some heat but it feels damn hot, I have also got a custom cam cover which you can barely touch after use but have put this down to the stripped back metal being sprayed and the internals heating it up more than the wrinkle finish paint Honda use.

Thanks guys and girls

Rocker cover will be hot for the reason you said. Wrinkle Paint has a large surface area so dissipates heat better.

If the top hose is hot, it means the stat is opening, but it could be a slight blockage in the rad.

Is the bottom hose cold??

Rocker cover will be hot for the reason you said. Wrinkle Paint has a large surface area so dissipates heat better.

If the top hose is hot, it means the stat is opening, but it could be a slight blockage in the rad.

Is the bottom hose cold??

Hi Stoo

Hope you are well and thanks for the reply, the bottom hose is cooler than the top one but I did notice a reasonable sized dent in my radiator last week (about golf ball size) if the radiator had a slight blockage would this show on the dash temp gauge?

Hi Pete.

Yeah I'm good thanks, likewise to you.

It may well be causing a restriction if there is a big dent in it. It might run ever so slightly hotter than normal.

Got any pics of the damage?

Yeah I'm good too thanks mate

Will try and get a picture posted later on this afternoon for you to have a nose at for me haha I was thinking of replacing it anyway to be honest because it woud just bug me even if it wasn't creating a negative impact on the cooling system haha

My grandads just rocked up in his 1.5 civic so got him to pop the bonnet and there isn't much difference between the two but would say mines a little hotter so thinking you could be right with the diagnosis that this dent may be causing it to run slightly hotter

Changing it is a good idea to be fair.

While you're at it you may as well do the stat too..

Cheers Stoo, will get a couple of quotes for a new radiator and thermostat next week, managed to get a pic that sort of shows the indentation...

Radiator.jpg

Back