• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Top Strut Mounts?

I have noticed the front end of my ctr knocking over speed bumps and uneven roads recently. I had the car jacked up today on the driveway for an oil and filter change and had a look at what is loose on the suspension.

I had the bottom ball joints replaced last year and they seem solid enough, the track rod ends are also good and there is no movement when i wobble the wheel from top to bottom. when i turned the wheel from lock to lock i get a clunk at full lock, when i wobbled the wheel from side to side there seems to be an fair bit of play coming from the top of the shock absorber.

would this suggest my top mounts are fooked?

Drop links seemed to be ok, I will be adding new ones shortly when i change my Manifold and front Arb and will no doubt have to cut the existing one's off.

I shall order new top mounts from my local Honda stealer next week and hope it cures the problem.

Easy enough to do on a driveway or is it a garage job?

hi sorry to jump on thread but how do you change top mounts? as have feeling i need to do same. is it done by undoing 3 nuts drop down and replace or have you got to take the lot off? also are they very expensive?

It's pretty straight forward, you'll probably need to remove the whole suspension unit - seperate the old top-mounts from the damper, and replace with new mounts. :)

If your car hasn't been opened up for a while, be sure to douse bolts for the towers in WD-40 and go carefully when splitting the tie-rod end from the steering arm.

I've forgotten what OEM EP3 suspension looks like again, but you could also try tightening the damper. I know first hand that If that were to become loose - you would get a knocking sound.

Back