• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Toyo R888 worth it?

Hi

Have an EP3 running a JRSC 294bhp. Off the line is ok but im wanting as much grip as possible! Are the Toyo R888 worth the dough? Any thoughts on what i could do to help my launch? Already have a Quaife.

Cheers

one of my mates has them on his 5 gt turbo , theyre awsome in the dry but deadly in the wet

How do they compare to the toyo T1R's would you think? I have them on at the moment.

Cheers

More dry grip, very stiff sidewalls, high wear rate. Over heat quite quickly on track, and they hate standing water. Other than that they're fine.

i havent used t1rs , only things ive ever really had are parada spec 2s , in the dry r888 would be a much better tyre , but in the wet bad times and driving everywhere at very slow speed . another issue with them is their lifepan isnt particularly great

Make much differance on the 1/4 would you think

Thanks alot man

They'd be better than normal road tyres on the launch, how that would relate to time I have no idea as drag racing isn't really my thing :)

I would have thought for drag racing you'd want something that's high grip but a soft sidewall so you can run lower pressure in the tyres and thus have more rubber on the track. Don't quote me on that, just thinking out load as fast drag cars that run slicks are always low pressure to get more contact with the strip and having a stiff sidewall would negate that.

I would have thought for drag racing you'd want something that's high grip but a soft sidewall so you can run lower pressure in the tyres and thus have more rubber on the track.

Drag radials would be best, but requires new rims as well i think, 15/16" IIRC so you can get the taller tyre wall. Plus if I remember right they're made from a compound designed to be heated through doing the burnout rather than R888's which wouldn't like it quite so much?

Drag radials would be best, but requires new rims as well i think, 15/16" IIRC so you can get the taller tyre wall. Plus if I remember right they're made from a compound designed to be heated through doing the burnout rather than R888's which wouldn't like it quite so much?
No idea, way over my head, drag tyre discussion doesn't come up much on the forum.

OP, try ringing CPL or TDI North, they might be able to advice which tyres are best suited for 1/4 mile which are "normal" size.

I've got R888 on my EP3, and use them on the road daily.

They are really, really good as far as grip goes. Not bad on wet surfaces, but very bad on standing water. (i.e. I wouldn't use them daily through winter road driving)

But if this is for legit drag racing, get slicks on...

I've got R888 on my EP3, and use them on the road daily.

They are really, really good as far as grip goes. Not bad on wet surfaces, but very bad on standing water. (i.e. I wouldn't use them daily through winter road driving)

But if this is for legit drag racing, get slicks on...

What tafder said. Awesome in dry and when hot in damp, but don't like standing water.

Back