• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tps sensor keeps going faulty

Hey everyone thanks for looking

Right I'm having a nightmare with my ep3! I had a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor) which came up on the diagnostic, so we changed it & the light went off & was fine, 50 miles later the throttle stops working over 2000rpm & cuts off the accelerator at 2000rpm, so we changed the TPS sensor again & it was fine again then 70 miles Driving steady it was fine but soon as I went in VTEC driving hard it went faulty again! Something is causing my TPS sensor to go faulty, does anyone have any ideas? I'm not using genuine oem honda ones as they want £800 as they only sell it with a throttle body, for it so I'm using cheap branded ones which makes me think it's tyem also? I have now ordered a k-tuned billet v2 tps which I'm hoping it will sort it out. Any ideas on what it would be is much appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

H think you might have answered your own question. Which brand of TPS have you been using?

Could always look for a genuine one at a breakers or eBay.

H think you might have answered your own question. Which brand of TPS have you been using?

Could always look for a genuine one at a breakers or eBay.

I bought one from ebay as I needed it ASAP but was only £30 whcih wasn't branded & then bought my second one from funky power which was blackworks for £55! But then I thought they would be fine & didn't think they would be such cheap rubbish! Then I spoke to Paul at TDI & he said it's the cheap Asian tps sensors & a someone recommended me to buy the k-tuned aluminium billet V2 as its oem but made a lot better so I'm hoping this will solve my problem but just thought I'd ask the question see if anyone else thought same which luckily u do too haha! I honestly didn't think the sensors would be such poor quality but I tried 3 jap breakers yards & all wouldn't sell the sensor seperate & the lowest price was £400 & couldn't bring myself to pay that which is when someone suggested k-tuned

Risks blowing a good TB if it turns out to be a loom fault though.

You could take it to an auto electrician to see if it's over volting. The feed should run between 0 and 5v IIRC.

Risks blowing a good TB if it turns out to be a loom fault though.

You could take it to an auto electrician to see if it's over volting. The feed should run between 0 and 5v IIRC.

Only thing that makes me think it isn't the throttle body is it works fine soon as we change the tps sensor, i phoned a auto electrican who all my mates use as he's the best & told him my problem & asked him to come check my wiring loom & he said it isn't the wiring loom as it can't cause your tps sensor to go faulty as they isn't more than 5v going in to it & he said it's the cheap tps sensors & that I should fit this new one & it will fix it BUT he said if it doesn't then he knows a guy who is a wizard with hondas & will find my problem, when I take my car to the garage they are auto ectricans also so I'll get him to do what you said loxy & test the voltage!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the only worry. If it's sending more than 5v, it probably is going to blow every tps you put on it.

That's the only worry. If it's sending more than 5v, it probably is going to blow every tps you put on it.

Thats what I'm worrying too. The auto electrician said it won't be the wiring loom as it works until u drive it hard & wether I drive it hard or not it always puts the same voltage in to which is why he said it has to be the tps I'm using & that the wiring on Hondas are so good but before we put this new sensor on we will test the voltage just to be safe as I its near 2 months been off the road & can't afford for this to happen again

I have fitted my new tps & so far so good, soon as I thrashed it with the old cheap sensors that was it pop but now with the k-tuned one it isn't doing it so fingers crossed it stays that way way :) thanks for the help lads much appreciated

Glad it's sorted for now. Keep us informed on how the k-tuned one goes in terms of reliability.

Well I'm glad I got my V2 billet knowing they are hard to get! My throttle was putting in 4.8V so that was right too but it defiantly was just buying cheap sensors so to anyone who ever needs a new one avoid cheap copys!

Back