• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Track Day Wheels

Hi all,

As a regular track day attendee I like to have a 2nd set of wheels to run my track tyres, that I can swap over. This helps preserve the road tyres and the OEM wheels.

On my FK2 I ran Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 in 19" with 245/35 tyres.

The FK8 runs on 245/30 ZR20 as standard and I am trying to decide what wheel to go for and what size.

I have seen a few of our American friends going down to 18". I know this makes the wheels and tyres cheaper, but how will it affect performance?

20" track wheels and tyres will be costly. I was thinking about going down to 19" but am unsure what size and fitment would be correct in order to keep the speedo etc correct.

Anyone already purchased after market wheels and what size and fitment did you go for?

Why would you be bothered about the speedo accuracy for a track day?

Edit: Tyre size info removed, see my 3rd post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you be bothered about the speedo accuracy for a track day?

If you went to 235/35/18 you'd have a 1mm difference (smaller) in tyre diameter.

Why wouldn't you be? Its nice to be able to say I was doing this speed entering corner x rather than, I was probably somewhere near that speed as my speedo is out.

Is also means I am able to use them on the road if I need to.

Granted 1mm makes naff all difference.

you can recalibrate the wheel size through the Infotainment screen as loads of yanks done it as has been said - so speedo stays true (well as true as it comes from factory)

The car looks lost on 18s though for the road....Christ I think the 20's don't look like 20's

Why wouldn't you be? Its nice to be able to say I was doing this speed entering corner x rather than, I was probably somewhere near that speed as my speedo is out.

Is also means I am able to use them on the road if I need to.

Granted 1mm makes naff all difference.

You can still use it as a gauge even if it's out... I entered corner 1 at X speed and felt stable, so next lap I'll try X + 5.... Pub ammo wise, you'll only ever be quoting faster than real life figures :lol:

At such a small difference it'll be less than 1% out and going the right way in terms of not getting you speeding tickets too (it'll read slightly faster than at present for any given speed).

Edit: Tyre size info removed, see my next post.

You can still use it as a gauge even if it's out... I entered corner 1 at X speed and felt stable, so next lap I'll try X + 5.... Pub ammo wise, you'll only ever be quoting faster than real life figures :lol:

Correction... I also quoted 235/35 in my post... I meant 245/35. My bad.

At such a small difference it'll be less than 1% out and going the right way in terms of not getting you speeding tickets too (it'll read slightly faster than at present for any given speed).

What size tyre would I need on a 19"? I think 18" would be too small.

Oooh hang on... I was using FK2 sizes from your post there.... I'll do a comprehensive post and fix it to save confusion:

FK8 OEM 20 inch wheel - 245/30/20 - Diameter 655mm

19 inch equivalent size 245/35/19 - Diameter 654mm

18 inch equivalent size - 245/40/18 - Diameter 653mm

FK2 19 inch wheel - 245/35/19 - Diameter 654mm

18 inch wheel equivalent size is 245/40/18 - Diameter 653mm

I'll delete my other posts incase somebody doesn't read this far :lol:

I used this website: http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tire-size-calculator-tire-dimensions

I tend to be able to gauge my speed by gear to be fair, rarely have I spent time looking at the dash whilst on track.

Oooh hang on... I was using FK2 sizes from your post there.... I'll do a comprehensive post and fix it to save confusion:

FK8 OEM 20 inch wheel - 245/30/20 - Diameter 655mm

19 inch equivalent size 245/35/19 - Diameter 654mm

18 inch equivalent size - 245/40/18 - Diameter 653mm

FK2 19 inch wheel - 245/35/19 - Diameter 654mm

18 inch wheel equivalent size is 245/40/18 - Diameter 653mm

I'll delete my other posts incase somebody doesn't read this far :lol:

I used this website: http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tire-size-calculator-tire-dimensions

Thanks Hazz. I'll have a google and see what I can find in 5 x 120 and ET 60

I’d be going with the smallest wheel diameter you can get which clear the brakes, 18”.

Back