• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Transmission Fluid Change

Ive not done much research i admit, but has anyone had to change their transmission fluid themselves?

I recently purchased 3 litres of MTF-III and a magnetic drain plug, i also have access to a set of ramps.
I understand that draining the box will be easy enough, but how do i fill it back up? Do i need access to a large syringe and some hosing?

The honda gear box oil is good enough to use , you will need a lenghth of pipe and a funnel .

Should be able to get a clear tube/hose and funnel from halfords. Feed the funnell with hose attached into the fill hole in the gear-box - you'll need just less than/about 2-litres (or at least I did on the two occassions I have changed mine). Literally take not of how much comes out, and put 'about' that much back in, or I've seen people fill till it pours out... if you remove the passenger side front wheel, you are clearly able to see the fill level.

I forgot to add that it's best to feed the tube through the engine bay around where the intake is, as the gearbox/fill and drain holes are pretty much beneath it. There is no need to remove the intake.

Literally take not of how much comes out, and put 'about' that much back in, or I've seen people fill till it pours out...

You're meant to fill until it pours out (on a level surface), that way you know there's enough in. If you just put in the same volume you've drained out and the level was low to begin with then it'll be low again.

Thanks guys, i'll stop by Halfrauds on the way home. Like i say i have three litres so should be more than enough. I was told by a few people that its fill to spill.

You could do, and I didn't say there was anything wrong with doing it this way either - I've personally removed the passenger wheel and filled it whilst keeping an eye on the fill level. I based my comment on the amount coming out being around 1.8-2.0 litres, which is about the right amount.

Make sure you can loosen/remove the fill bolt before you remove the drain bolt... :) Seen a couple of people, find they've not been able to get it off - but drained all the oil out of it.. should have adequate clearance though with a ramp.

Back