• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tuning Advice - Type r FN2

Well... ive finally dabbled in the idea of starting to do a few bits to my FN2 ( WELL OVERDUE!! ) and have since had fitted a Teg cat back aswell as an HKS induction kit.

Over the moon with sound level improvement but now looking at next steps and best way to go about getting a bit more power out of it.

Now ive got a bit of a dilemma - I want to get more power out of her and make her more responsive so next up I think is a remap but before I jump in and book it in - was wondering if there was anything else anybody recommends doing to the car tuning wise to gain a bit more from her before doing so?!

The issue is I use it as a daily driver - so want to keep it simple for MOT each year - so was wondering what mods would support whats already in place and improve the car overall before taking it to be mapped without compromising on the ease of getting it through an MOT and not have to chop and change bits each time!

Will be looking to book for a FRSU but engine mod wise im a bit clueless - help would be appreciated!
:)

Hiya bud, you've got the bug as well? Depending on budget i would go for an Spoon throttle body and inlet manifold but if youve not got a flash pro ecu you'll have to budget for another £500 but these will give you better mid range torque and throttle response.

The list goes on really, it can run into thousands. I would also recommend TDi North in warrington for any work you want done, they are really helpful and knowledgable.

Hope this has helped

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

im in the same dilemma as you myself, same mods to, you'll need to get yourself a Flashpro to be able to map it anyway so put that one on the list. ive been looking at getting the RRC inlet manifold and fd2 throttle body as I've heard they go well together and getting it mapped at the same time once the funds become available! but if you just have a little read around you'll find some more info on others who have done stuff there own cars.

a trip to tdi north for a map will make the car far more driveable. no need for you to buy a flashpro. tdi will sort it for you without the need to buy a flashpro.more torque and lower midrange. one thing a lot of people overlook are the brakes. they are nearly all seized on to some extent.refurbing these will give you back lost bhp due to the binding. its like running around with your handbrake on slightly. more mpg as well lol. 220bhp and 165 lb ft torque is what you should expect with the exhaust and hks induction kit. to get more its like a steep ascending cliff, money talks. shaft delete kit etc. for it to pass an mot without a friendly tester(which im sure there aren't any despite what some people say, vosas far too strict)you cant get the car to breathe properly. so be happy with map from tdi this is about it. the car will be transformed. handling and brakes are more important anyway. coilovers or simple progressive lowered springs and a frsu . decent discs and pads with a bleed with dot 4 race fluid like rbf600 or similar. anybody can go fast in a straight line ,its the corners that matter lol.

a trip to tdi north for a map will make the car far more driveable. no need for you to buy a flashpro. tdi will sort it for you without the need to buy a flashpro.more torque and lower midrange. one thing a lot of people overlook are the brakes. they are nearly all seized on to some extent.refurbing these will give you back lost bhp due to the binding. its like running around with your handbrake on slightly. more mpg as well lol. 220bhp and 165 lb ft torque is what you should expect with the exhaust and hks induction kit. to get more its like a steep ascending cliff, money talks. shaft delete kit etc. for it to pass an mot without a friendly tester(which im sure there aren't any despite what some people say, vosas far too strict)you cant get the car to breathe properly. so be happy with map from tdi this is about it. the car will be transformed. handling and brakes are more important anyway. coilovers or simple progressive lowered springs and a frsu . decent discs and pads with a bleed with dot 4 race fluid like rbf600 or similar. anybody can go fast in a straight line ,its the corners that matter lol.

Wicked guys, thanks for all of the above comments.

Seems like remap is next step, then looking into a FRSU and upgrade on brakes for starter.

Looking at my Mapping options, obviously every1 rants and raves about TDI which is fab however being based in SW London im not sure about the commute their and back! Would be a hell of a drive - :D but was wondering if anyone knew of any respectable garages local to London who offer a decent mapping service which previous type r owners could vouch for?

Will a balance shaft delete kit mean it wont get through an mot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Down south I'd use TGM in Fleet for spanner work but they don't do mapping and they use Eurospec.

Balancer shaft delete is a new lighter oil pump, so it won't affect the MOT.

I live In surrey near the south of London, and would recommend eurospec as most others will, only had a service with them currently but excellent service and knowledge, will be getting my map by them once parts are fitted

Back