• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Turbo Or Supercharger

If I was to go FI on my S2000 I'd go SC.

It will make less power, but I like the sound of them and 300whp isn't too shabby really is it ?

ive had some really weird quotes for both these options, ive been told it would be better to have a supercharger as the FN2 doesnt have a lot of torque ?? is this correct

It all depends what you want. Ive had a Rotrex and got rid of it for a Turbo. But it all depends on what you want from it, and how you drive.

Turbo will make more torque than a charger. Tom's build it a prime example, he's running similar BHP on his turbo for now until he gets engine revisions, but he's monstering the torque now in comparison to the Rotrex set-up.

^^^ This.

I would say if its a daily driver a Supercharger would be an excellent addition. Round town your running similar MPG to N/A, press the fast pedal and it puts a smile on your face. Plus you can pick up second hand JRSC and Rotrex SC now for sub £2k. If you get one second hand you will always make your money back on them.

Turbos are a little bit more complicated as you have to get the Exhaust Manifold made up, unless your lucky enough to get one used.

Turbo applications are very new on the FN2 so finding anything second hand won't happen.

Im happy with my JRSC since having it done in November, TBH and IMO the amount of torque I've got (205ft lbs) its not a massive amount, its hard to put all the power down initially until the car gets moving even sometimes in the dry but once it gets moving its a lot of fun, the whine and the way the power is delivered.

Don't forget its essentially a FWD car we drive and to put a lot of BHP through them without today's modern car trick suspension, you're just going to spin up the wheels. I would go for a turbo if I was mainly drag racing or always at santa pod but for drivability, everyday use and track days my vote goes for a supercharger.

The Rotrex makes 30-40 bhp more than the JRSC with the appropriate mods but from a few tuners I've spoken to, the rotrex have failed on them due to the mechanical internal "gearbox" it uses and have blown, while with the JRSC (I've not experienced it) it has a tendency to overheat without being charged cooled/oil cooler. The Rotrex has a charge cooler at extra cost as well.

Cost wise from new, their a couple of hundred short between each other so its up to you. Both have their respective cons/pro's.

Im happy with my JRSC since having it done in November, TBH and IMO the amount of torque I've got (205ft lbs) its not a massive amount, its hard to put all the power down initially until the car gets moving even sometimes in the dry but once it gets moving its a lot of fun, the whine and the way the power if delivered.

Don't forget its essentially a FWD car we drive and to put a lot of BHP through them without today's modern car trick suspension, your just going to spin up the wheels. I would go for a turbo if i was mainly drag racing or always at santa pod but for drivability, everyday use and track days my vote goes for a supercharger.

The Rotrex makes 30-40 bhp more than the JRSC with the appropriate mods but from a few tuners I've spoken to, the rotrex have failed on them due to the mechanical internal "gearbox" it uses and have blown, while with the JRSC (I've not experienced it) it has a tendency to overheat without being charged cooled/oil cooler. The Rotrex has a charge cooler at extra cost as well.

Cost wise from new, their a couple of hundred short between each other so its up to you. Both have their respective cons/pro's.

That's the best thing/piece of advice you've ever given on this forum.

Very good post.

+2

Re the Rotrex, the internal gearing failures I've heard of where were the traction fluid as it's called, oil to you and me, leaked and the Rotrex ran dry.

It very nearly happened on mine as I nearly lost the reservoir pot.

For the FN2 you can get two Eaton roots type chargers, Jackson Racing or CompTech.

Jackson ones used to be known for cracking their inlet manifold as that was all that was supporting the charger, however this has been resolved now according to CPL.

The CompTech doesn't have this issue but it has been known to wear a bearing on the pulley out after 10k, which has led to many people to now consider the bearing a service item.

Turbos I know very little about. It was only on Tom's car that I got my head round what the wastegate does.

It was only the early Rotrex systems that failed. I was assured when I bought mine, and again at the Autosport Motorshow, when I was talking to the chaps from TTS, that the new models all have stronger 'Fan Units' and they only fail when owners dont keep an eye on the Traction Fluid.

When I was running the Rotrex, when I checked my Oil and Water every weekend, I unscrewed the Traction Oil Tank and gave it a quick level check. Mine never lost any.

Yeah it wasn't Lung Friendly.

The Rotrex is a cracking bit of kit for the money. Look at Doggie Gemmells, the power he was running from it was insane. Incidentally that kit is for sale on CTRO.

Back