• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Turbo Project

Hi guys I am going to be doing a turbo project this June at TDI North and was wondering if it's necessary for me to have a lighter flywheel and sport cat.

I don't want it stupidly loud but if the power is already going to be there then I think that will be fine. Rather use the money for more essential mods.

TDI North have been researching and developing their own turbo kits Stage 1 is 350bhp with supporting mods.

Currently liaising via email to Paul and Lou @ TDI.

I live in Farnborough and TGM is 10mins away. I did ask about Turbo but was recommended jackson Racing SC.

Any advise will be appreciated. :)

Fly wheel isn't essential, and depending on what manifold/down pipe set-up the TDi kit has I guess would determine what the situation would be regards to the sport cat? I'm guessing Paul would be the best person to ask as he's developing the kit :)

I've been personally told a number of times that supercharing a type-r is much more effective that turbo charging it.

I saw on CPL racing you get a JRSC kit and hondata management fitted for £3200ish. Something im considering myself

I have received quite a bit of information from TDI north on the kits they are building, charge cooling ftw.. They won't have cats but they could be custom fitted acording to lou. Not sure about flywheels ***, would have thought you wouldn't need too change to a lightweight. id also opt for Injector dynamics injectors.

Well don't quote me... but i remember something about the delivery of power being smoother and more powerful from lower down in the rev range.

Well don't quote me... but i remember something about the delivery of power being smoother and more powerful from lower down in the rev range.

That is true of superchargers although new VG turbos have a very smooth power delivery not unlike superchargers

Thanks for your feedback guys very much appreciated. I would like to share some info to all what Paul & Lou mentioned to me. I did ask what was better Super/Turbo charging the K20 and have been recommended the turbo

"Turbo is the way to go. Proving far more upgradable power wise and often better reliability as well as better mpg. Notice all the modern cars coming out with high compression engines and turbos. ;) We are starting to do our own turbo kits and the entry level one will give you about 350bhp with supporting mods and within the same price range as a supercharger kit.
Really is the way to go. "

"Other alternative is a Rotrex supercharger. I can do you a simple kit that will give a good 300+bhp even on a car with manifold and cat that is both efficient and reliable. You also get the BOV with that kit."

"we have been turbocharging the Type R and the Accord R engines for over 5 years now, they really are one of the best production engines for it. The BTCC Honda's are now turbocharged and doing pretty well from what i have seen :)

Our stage 1 kit as Paul mentioned will be ultimatley the most reliable 300HP + package on the market, we have designed this kit specifically for the EP3 and we have implemented all of our tricks learned from using other kits over the past few years. We are very exited to see how they perform. Testing and results will be done before the end of this month and we can then actually have the parts in a kit form ready to be installed in a home garage if you wish.

Introductory price would be along the lines of £2500 for the complete turbo kit, the only other supporting mods would be a 2.5'' 'cat-back' system and a Hondata ECU you would not be able to run the car safely without these mods in place.

The reason for not going for the rotrex is because my style of driving. I heard that you have to really rev the car to get the power which is delivered top end. Not sure if its correct? I have heard all positive stuff about TDI North so I guess they know what they doing.

Any further thoughts?

i have no idea to be honest, Hasnic im sure will.

I was always led to believe thats the main advantage of a supercharger over turbo. no lag, low down power, steady power all the way through rev range.

Turbo FTW.

Supercharger power is too linear and doesn't feel as fast IMO.

Turbo vtec is where it's at :)

Honestly speaking my preference would be a turbo:)

On a different note, I have a twin powerflow exhaust on each side, catback system and I think it's 2 1/4 inch pipe. I was already thinking of making it single as I was told when it was remapped twice that I am loosing power beause of have double exit rather than the one.

Do I need to increase the pipe size from the cat to 2.5inch to accommodate the turbo???. I already have a 400CPSI sports cat from powerflow but not yet fitted. Heard the car goes too loud:(

Hi guys just to keep you up to date my car is in the process of having a turbo fitted at Endless Horizon Motorsport. Dropping car on the 1st Aug. The project should be completed in 4 weeks time. And I hope to give you all a full report once completed. I have covered all the necessary base for the car to handle 350bhp. Just need some advise on what do I need to do to strengthen the gear box? l have added lsd, clutch upgrade,flywheel,race spec drive shaft. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
me to :D looking forward to updates... the fact that it's chargecooled is good news for people with K20as in the back of their cars!

Hi guys

Thank you for showing an interest. To be honest the work was estimated to be finished late September as the car went in 1st Aug 2011,but the work is still being carried out. I have a rough feeling that it may be sometime end of this year or January 2012. I think because the car is going for an engine rebuild, port and polish, waiting for part as well and some custom made parts that the fabricator needs to make is the delay. As soon as it's finished I will let you guys know with some pictures too. :)

Its the hardest thing I have had to wait for, but I guess with the winter coming it is a blessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back