• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Turbo Project

why did you opt to rebuild the engine? you have a k20a2 ? those motors are good for 450 whp or more stock internals. Infact I've tuned dozens of them that have made over 500 whp on 100% completely stock engines.

as far as your supporting mods. all depends on how much power you're looking to get out of the setup. stock axles should be ok unless you plan on drag racing, but even then, we've ran 9 second quarter mile times with stock honda axles. transmissions: 4th gear are often the weak spots. typically over 600 and they usually dont hold much more.

Hi Mase thank you for your input and I have taken into consideration of the above. :)

It may very well be possible to achieve the above but my question would be how much stress will the engine be able to take before I have to replace it. Therefore after throughly researching and following examples of others who have carried out similar work,I decided it would be in my best interest to do the engine. I have been told that the maximum you can take stock EP3 is up to 350. However this opinion may vary both ways,but I know several EP3 running 330 on stock for daily driving I guess there are many variables which would affect or reduce a turbo'd engine such as maintenance, drving style etc.

I am looking at reliability and not just big BHP figures. The cost of this is huge and if I don't look after my engine then it's going to hit my pocket big time.

I have been told my car should be ready in December but likely January. Out of curiosity any members in Farnborough or close by.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate welcome to TRO :)

This is my first EP3 which I am working on also. Hopefully once my project is completed I hope to organise a small meet up.

sounds cool mate i want to turbo myne but just not shaw on witch kit to go for as some give low hp for the money

Hi Robctr

Not a problem mate :) I think mine should be ready sometime end of January or begining of Feb..Sounds far away but hopefully not that long to go. Still got loads to save up yet :( If you want and if possible perhaps we can arrange for you can tag along with my myself and my mate when I go and pick up the car. Then you can see the finishing work and if you have any questions then you can ask. If it doesn't plan out this way then I'm happy to come down to basingstoke.

My turbo kit will be made specifically to my specification so it will be custom built. I had a good chat with the boys doing my set up before I decided to go ahead with the project and the person doing the work truly knows his stuff.

Are you looking for something you can do daily driving in or race spec? But then having said that, it doesn't really matter as he is setting my turbo - boost by gear- as compared to the turbo kicking in at a specific rev. I drove my mates Subaru 2000, 260bhp and his turbo kicks in at 3000rpm so he is also keen to know how my car will respond and feel by this set up.

I don't think you will have any problems in finding the right turbo, it will be a matter of how much you want to spend. I was originally quoted 5300 for a whole entire kit, which includes labour custom exhaust, intercooler the whole lot, except Kpro . I already had this on my car so I was ok. This will get you 350bhp on stock engine.

I will let you know nearer to the time and hopefully we can arrange something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robctr,

Boost per gear is a term for a method of controlling boost that has been used for many years to limit power/wheel spin. Basically depending upon the ECU, The boost is controlled via a small electronic solenoid that is installed inline with the wastegate. That solenoid is programmed to adjust the pulsewidth needed to lower or raise boost accordingly. So in the lower gears in order to combat wheel spin, the boost is limited or lessed. then as you switch to higher gears, the ECU can recognize the gear change due to rpm vs vehicle speed and can raise the boost as programmed. On some of the more advanced ECUs you will have proportional–integral–derivative controllers to fine tune targets so the boost does not overshoot or undershoot desired levels. This helps stability, will actually make the car accelerate quicker, and generally is easier on the cars components as well.

Hope that helps

Mase

Hi Mase

Truly appreciate the info you have given me. Very well detailed:)

My project is not completed yet. Just spoke to the guys and parts from the State still need to be ordered as they shipped the wrong one. But will definately let you know once it's completed. I am quite interested in seeing you when you have your rolling road days. I've never been to one.

"On some of the more advanced ECUs you will have proportional–integral–derivative controllers to fine tune targets so the boost does not overshoot or undershoot desired levels. This helps stability, will actually make the car accelerate quicker, and generally is easier on the cars components as well. "

Hi Mase would a fully reprogrammable Hondata Kpro fit into this category?

Thanks

Anyone know what the weight is for a 2002 EP3? I am getting different results on the net. Read up about Weight Curb which includes full engine tank, essential fluids etc. This was on a american site so not sure how accurate this is. I know weight of the person driving is not included. Does this include spare wheel?? And will filling your tires with Nitrogen make it lighter?

Hi mate

Thanks for showing an interest. Unfortunately my project is still being completed due to back log of work from the boys who are doing the work. I am going to ring them up tomorrow to see how much progress they have made. I do have picture of the turbo, custom manifold but will put everything up once its all done. :)

Hi guys just to keep you up to date my car is in the process of having a turbo fitted. The project should be completed in 4 weeks time. And I hope to give you all a full report once completed. I have covered all the necessary base for the car to handle 350bhp. Just need some advise on what do I need to do to strengthen the gear box? l have added lsd, clutch upgrade,flywheel,race spec drive shaft. :p

4 Weeks eh..?

:lol:

popcorn2.gif

Back