• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Type r ep3 facelift clutch biting point very high?? Need new clutch??

Hey guys I got a civic ep3 type r but the clutch biting point is really high it's not slipping or anything? Would it be ideal to replace and what's the best clutch to go for.

been quoted £350 for exedy clutch and labour at Halfords auto centre as I work at Halfords.

can anyone recommend what's the best clutch to get?

any replies will be appreciated

The bite point normally goes lower to the floor not high, as it is the pressure plate that weakens before the friction disc wears out. Do you have any other symptoms?

Looked at bleeding/replacing the clutch fluid or adjusting the bite point on the clutch pedal assembly/push rod?

OEM Honda clutch with a genuine Honda release bearing is what you want if replacing.

Try Cox and Hendy in the Traders Section. I got mine for about £10 more than the equivalent Exedy.

If you want to go Exedy, go OEM equivalent, but still try for the Honda release bearing as people do have problems with the Exedy sometimes. There are two versions of the Exedy kit though. The euro version is like chocolate, the US version is much better. You can tell them apart as the US version comes with the disc and pressure plate in separate boxes inside the main box.

I know you work for them, but Halfords. Are you sure you want them tackling a clutch?

That does sound like a good price but as mentioned above - these cars the clutch change isnt as straight forward as most cars - i think it requires particular care/method that honda and TGM (and others) are experienced in. I guess a quote is a quote and halfords would have to take the car back in if there were issues but i'd rather not go down that road. I went to my local honda in the end because although TGM quoted a tempting £450 i am 2+ hours drive from them gutted.

My gearchange was getting really notchy/resistant at high rpm just before i had my clutch changed. I did tinker with adjusting the pedal push rod once but couldnt get my hand in far enough to undo the bolt so gave up after a while. Maybe the issue is brake fluid in your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much I looking if I go for a oem Honda clutch and bearing? How do I adjust clutch assembly/ push rod? It's just got quite a high biting point goes into all gears fine not crunching or anyfing..

I just wanted a quote as thought its on way out but asked a mate of mine who I bought car off who is civic enthusiast he said clutch is fine and if it's not slipping dw but they say you can't adjust the clutch if it's hydraulic that's why am just wondering if it's possible how do I adjust it? I'll get my brake fluid checked and see how it goes from there .. Thanks for the info guys

Search on here for adjusting the clutch bite point, I'm sure there are a few threads on it.

You can't normally adjust a hydraulic clutch, but you're adjusting it at the pedal end before the master cylinder.

You sometimes do get crunching. The tell tale sign on these is that you get crunching when changing gear at high revs. They don't often slip as it is normally the pressure plate that gets tired, meaning the clutch doesn't properly disengage.

It don't crunch at high revs it's actually really smooth so that's why am just bit confused if it's on way out but I've driven London n back was completely fine apart from having to gas a little as high biting point it goes on to all gears fine so I'll just get it checked out by a mechanic. Get a few opinions

Thought about getting a diff or flywheel done at some time whilst you're at it?

There's a diff going on gumtree at moment for 350 I believe

Sorry only just seen replies. As others have said, the clutch doesnt seem to slip on these cars and i read somewhere that if it does, its gone way past the point that you should of changed it. At that point i think the flywheel starts to cook but im not an expert on it, i know enough to be dangerous lol.

On mine there was no slip, it was just slightly crunching at high rpm basically trying to change gear in vtec, sometimes i had to try twice to get from 3rd to 4th in vtec for example. Not sure on your high biting point. If you arent getting crunching though it does sound like theres life left in your clutch yet. What is the milage?

I would probably try to find another ctr owner local to you and get them to try your car for an opinion. I think most would be happy to assist a fellow owner providing they arent late for work or anything.

You will be looking at £600ish from Honda for a new clutch and £450 from TGM which is a good price if you are local to them.

It's at 113k sometimes do have to press clutch few times to get in gear as crunches but it don't slip at high rpm

Back