• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Typres and 'wow-wow-wow' type noise. Been told tyre wear

I asked on CTR owners about a constant and quite annoying noise, like a wow-wow-wow type noise coming from the car. Very noticable on motorway, not so bad on good quality 40mph roads.

I was told on CTR probably tyre wear. Intend to swap tyres back to front to check this as at the moment its front left (already been swapped from the back but didn't pay much attention to noise back then). Doesn't seem like a bearing or anything.

Advice was rear camber bolts and a FRSU followed by new tyres.

Q. If i was to change tyres, would this happen very soon again due to the dodgy CTR camber and would it therefore be a waste of cash? The spec2's have quite a bit of miles left I think.

Also, are there any equally as grippy tyres that are quieter than spec 2's(not stupidly expensive though)? On the motorway the cars so loud I struggle to hold a conversation. Be interested to know if anyone else has this.

No idea hence the thread. Never owned a car long enough to need to do anything to the wheels and not had any issues before at all with wheels so no experience.

I did find this on google and seems to reach same conclusion actually although different car.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=596934
"hahaha its ur tires. go rub all 4 of ur tires and two or all four might have uneven [URL="http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=596934#"]tire
wear. put ur hand on top of the tire surface and just slide it down and try to feel for any bumps . u'll prolly feel bumps on the outer edge and inner edge of the tire. that'll cause the weird "wha wha wha wha" noise."

J[/URL]ust wanted to check on here as it's expensive for new tyres especially if it happens again straight away.

i had this noise coming from the rear when i first got my EP3, it was on Parada Spec 2's as soon as i changed tyres the noise went and hasn't come back. i changed to Toyo T1R's which i thought were pretty good and now i'm on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's which are definitely the best tyre i've tried so far

When I first had my type R it had this whoo-whoo-whoo annoying sound.
Noticed after 2 weeks when i went on holiday driving up the motorway.

Changed tyres (were RE040) at Honda for new RE040 and it didnt come back. (3.5yrs of ownership)
I'd only done 13k miles, but they were just starting to sound a little noisier when I sold it.

Definitely un-even tyre wear or a good step in the tyre like Jord said. Common on the EP3 because the geo tolerences from factory were shocking.

When you swap your tyres around, check them over. They'll be worn alot more on the insides.

Solution is to replace tyres. This will cure the noise problem. However, I would get the tracking checked and get everything aligned as well, or you'll just end up with uneven wear and the same problem on the new tyres eventually as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Should be good with new tyres and an alignment then and not have to shell out for bloody camber bolts or something, good stuff.

RE040 are the standard tyre I believe and thus worse from what I can see than the spec 2's?

Thanks for the replies.

Should be good with new tyres and an alignment then and not have to shell out for bloody camber bolts or something, good stuff.

RE040 are the standard tyre I believe and thus worse from what I can see than the spec 2's?

RE040 was the tyre from factory on the EP3 and is damn sight better than Prada spec 2's which are utter turd, in my opinion.

Honda chose the RE040 for a reason, and that being it suits the characteristics of the EP3 as the tyre has a stiff sidewall. They aren't amazing in the rain however, but the Spec 2's are actually downright dangerous in the wet, so the RE040 is a huge step up :lol:

Spec 2's give good grip the dry/warm, they are a very soft compound tyre, but they have a soft sidewall just like the T1R, Falken, Khumo's etc. And are therefore hopeless if you want to corner reltaively quickly in a CTR.

I'd get any fo the following - Michellin Pilot Sports, Continental sport Contact's, Goodyear F1's, Potz RE040/50, Dunlop SP's

Good post. RE002 is also a good choice. And if you get the RE050 make sure you get the RE050A.

Cheers.

Although on tyre reviews for CTR
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Honda/Civic-Type-R.htm

s
ays the re040 are poor, although the spec2's are low down too.

Ignore that nonsense. It highly rates the T1R and Falken's which is bad enough. You'll get 50/50 opinions on all these soft sidewall tyres, but mostly anyone who pushes there car at all in bends will all tell you the same thing I am telling you. Stiff sidewall = best. It's common sense in reality to me with a 200bhp FWD car!

By the way, the RE040/50's will last 20k miles+, my RE040's had 25k on them (no joke) and still had tread. I replaced because they wore unevenly on inside edge :lol: Any of these soft tyres will never get this sort of life.

RE040 - great dry tyre, nerve-wrecking in wet. Never been so disappointed with OEM tyre choice on a car.
My last drive in the Type R was in pouring rain, lots of standing water on roads and to say I was uncomfortable was an understatement.

I had Michelin Pilots on my Accord - cracking tyres
Continental SportContact2 on my 172 - cracking tyres
Michelin Pilot Exaltos on current 182 Cup - cracking tyres
Continental SportContact3 on Gordini - more than happy up to yet

Next tyres will be like for like on our two cars, what comes off gets replaced with same.

Back