• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tyre advice.. Bridgestone potenza

Hi all. Just after a bit advice please.

Im after a new tyre for my ep3 CTR.

Ones fitted are all bridgestone potenza 205/45/17 84v (re050a).

Are these original spec tyres?

Also, I've Found the same but rated to 88v, or some are run flats, some non run flats etc.

Just need pointing in the right direction as to what tyres should be on the car and what I actually need to order.

thanks all!

Re050's and I think AD08's were oem on the dc5 anyway. Unsure of the ep3. Japanese ep3 might be the same.

OEM tyres for the EP3 were Bridgestone Potenza RE040A which I believe have been discontinued now.

88V refers to the load rating (number) and speed rating (letter). I'm pretty sure 88V is about right, but you shouldn't go any lower than those as you'll invalidate your insurance.

If you must go Bridgestone again RE050A are what you should go for, but stay away from RE050 as they are nowhere near as good.

Personally I'd get some Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s which are a much better all round tyre IMHO.

Cheers for the reply.

I think 84 is a 500kg load. So would it be wise to have 84 and 88 load tyres fitted or keep all the same with 84? Or doesn't it matter?

The potenza'a aren't 'too' bad, I mean I don't race or rally so they do the job I guess lol.

Ill look into the eagles, would i still go with 205/45/17? Again I don't like mismatching tyres and it would cost a bomb to replace all four at a time!

Yes, you could stick with the same size on the Eagles. 215/40/17s are often cheaper and as long as they are the same size on the same axle you will be OK, the rolling radius of those two sizes is very close. Eagles you can get in 205/45/17 or 215/45/17, which is a bit of pain really but the 215s are £30ish a corner cheaper.

The Bridgstones have pretty stuff sidewalls, so going to a 88 rated tyre on the Eagles will keep the sharpness of turn in etc.

Ok cheers. I've found an f1 a2, rated to 88Y XL. Is this right? This is a 205/45 aswell.

Which size is is best to go for? I'll be honest, I don't think I can spend all that money swapping every tyre to 215's this close to Xmas so I'm going to have to sick with 205's (is this the right choice)

also, would it be wise have 84v potenza's and one 88y f1 on the same car?

sorry for all the daft questions just need to be sure. Thanks

It's fine to mix tyres as long as you have the same tyres on the same axle, i.e. you have a pair of Eagles on the back.

The general advice is that it is better to have the tyres with the least grip on the front as it is easier to correct understeer than oversteer.

Cheers Loxy, thanks a lot! I'm going to source two eagles and think I'll get the other 2 after Xmas. Even though I'm not a racer I wonder if ill feel the difference lol. Cheers for the help

Bridgestone have brought a new potenza Adrenalin which is wicked currently running them on the back in 215/45/17, and Yokos AD08s 215/45/17 on the front which are without fail the best tires I have tried for all conditions (Parada Spec 2s) were the best for dry

Back