• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tyre advice

I've just done a Ferrari experience day at Thruxton and had really good fun. I want to track the ep3 but need some decent rubber. Hoping to sell on the part worn matching set of toyo proxes.

Now my question, for about 1500 miles a year with 1 or 2 trackdays thrown in there, should I be looking at decent Road tyres or some track tyres? If Road tyres then it's between goodyear, Bridgestone or vredistein. On the 215/45 profile I think. It's driven all year round so as long as the new tyres are better than the toyo in the wet I'll be happy!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

1500 or 15000 miles a year? If 15k then I'd go for AD08R. Don't skimp, thank me later. If the former then something like R888 would be ideal.

About 3.5k a year! Fat fingers!

I haven't got tons to spend, ideally I'd like to buy a set of rims, then sell my wheels and tyres but not sure what they go for. If track tyres then I'd go for something like the nankang or federal? I think they are meant to be the best bang for buck?

If running track tyres would I need baffled sump due to more g's?

If running road tyres then no sump required, but if you're looking at semi slicks then I'd be looking at a sump. Overfill oil by a few mm and you should be fine on road tyres.

AD08R's aren't megabucks. :)

Ad08's it is! 215/45 the favourite?
Next then, cheapest way to baffle the sump?

Not sure about EP3 tyre sizes mate, been a while since I had one.

You can get a Spoon one, or get someone to weld in baffles for you. TGM do them I think.

You're a bad influence on these forums! Haha.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look. Fabrication place next door to our workshops. I'm sure I can whip the sump of, clean it up and get some baffles welded in! Tgm aren't a million miles away from me either.

Cheers, Mark.

I definitely think AD08R will be the best tyre you can go without shelling out on R888's etc, they're a good chunk more money, money you could spend on other things such as the sump, brakes, tuition etc. All the best. :)

I'm sold on the yokos. I'll see what options I have for baffles and then look into another set of rims or just sell the tyres.

Better get a track day booked soon as well then!

I don't have that much to spend, Another set of standard rims with crap tyres so I can flog these as is and then use the new ones with the yokos...

TGM will sell you a Clockwise Motion drop in baffle, expect to pay around £350ish including fitting.

I've got a Clockwise one in mine and it's a brilliant bit of kit, fitted mine myself though so saved a fair chunk.

Area motorsport do it for £200 delivered. Think I'll go for that. Don't seem to come up second hand which is a shame! Shouldn't take long to fit, and I'm due an oil change!

You have to drop the subframe IIRC so it's a longer job than most think.

Ah crap, the same as on my a4, was a pig of a job!

Don't have to completely remove the subframe, just undo the front and rear engine mounts, disconnect the roll bar, undo the 4 subframe bolts and let it hang down on the ball joints. You'll need wheel alignment doing after.
In comparison to the Audi A4 it's far easier

I did the clutch on it a while back so it shouldn't be too bad to do. The a4 was a pig, I had to lift the engine as high as it would go and drop the subframe down miles! I'll Mark the subframe again and try and get it back together where it came apart. Before I get wheel alignment set up again I want to use solid subframe mounts so it can't move. I also want to know exactly what toe and camber settings to use (after doing some track work)

Any where cheaper to get the clockwise motion drop in baffles than area? £200 delivered best I've found...

Thanks mate.

Back