• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tyre size on MOT

The beater has different sized tyres on the rear axle (front wheel drive)
Does anyone know if this is an MOT failure?

Not asking about the safety aspect etc as the difference is about the same as a new versus barely legal tyre across the axle.

Also would this case issues for traction control (Ford system)

yes. different size on same axle is fail. can be different size front to back, but we all know this, loads of cars run staggered setup.

that said a friendly or busy MOT tester probably wouldn't notice if the profile was different if there was decent tread on the tyres.

Last edited by a moderator:
not teaching you to suck eggs but as its a beater buy a matching set of partworns from gumtree in your local area for £10-20 size dependant. if they're 14s i've got lots sitting here for focus/mondeo but you are some distance away.

hmm, what about the spare? spacesaver? you might be able to do a bodge with that.

you can also do epic bodge (i have done this) and borrow a space saver from a friend with same car and put on the same axle. VOILA MOT thanks.

Spare is indeed space saver, already checked.
2 new fronts are needed anyway so I guess buy 2 new in different sizes and swap 1 wheel from back to front.

Back