• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1's?

I know tyre related questions are answered all the time and I have done some reading of some of the posts for tyre recommendation and sizes on here but there is so much choice out there, it is confusing and I am a fairly young ep3 owner so new to all! So apologies in advance for repetition :lol:

I am currently running Michelin PS3's (came on the car when purchased). They need a change ASAP, I have mainly considered the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's as I have heard good things. Don't drive the car hard enough to justify splashing out on something like the AD08r's so keeping my options at a reasonable budget.

Does anyone have current experience with these on the ep3? How are they in wet/dry? And what tyre size did you opt for in these?

Any other tyre recommendations would be really helpful. The PS3's spin up a lot in the wet, even when they had life. So generally want something good in the dry and decent in the wet.

Thanks for any input.

I went through two sets of F1 A2s on my ep3, I loved them. They did the day-to-day perfectly and were plenty grippy enough in the wet and dry when you wanted to play. Mega twitchy in the cold though, I really struggled for traction once it got below 5 degrees.

I ran 215/45s to give a slightly bigger sidewall, mostly to make it comfier and fill the arch gap. They do have a relatively stiff sidewall, so a bit more cushion is a good thing.

Pilot Sport 4's. I think F1A2 and 3 are overrated personally.
Hello mate, are these good if only doing about 7k miles per year? Heard from a dealer that they wear quicker if not driven regularly?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm also looking at the Eagle F1's next year. I'm amazed at the handling on budget tyres so any premium tyre will be awesome!

Hello mate, are these good if only doing about 7k miles per year? Heard from a dealer that they wear quicker if not driven regularly?

What a load of nonsense. Tyres wear depending on total mileage, surface and driving style, not how often the car is driven.

I went through two sets of F1 A2s on my ep3, I loved them. They did the day-to-day perfectly and were plenty grippy enough in the wet and dry when you wanted to play. Mega twitchy in the cold though, I really struggled for traction once it got below 5 degrees.

I ran 215/45s to give a slightly bigger sidewall, mostly to make it comfier and fill the arch gap. They do have a relatively stiff sidewall, so a bit more cushion is a good thing.

Thanks for the input mate, I had a browse on Camskill and the difference price wise between the 2 and 3's is about 10p... as the 3's being newer I am looking at going for them but unsure... where did you buy your sets?

Sorry Jim but they do not have a stiff sidewall at all. They are like jelly even when comparing to Pilot Sport 3.

Haha i thought just the same. Prob not much of a mark up for him! Def still going for the f1s or pilot sports

Yea I wouldn't run a 45 side wall on a 215 either, regardless of make. You'll also be travelling slightly faster than your speedo indicates with the diameter increase.

Eagle F1's are a decent tyre for road use, I went through quite a few sets before moving to yoko's on the skyline. The yoko's were vastly superior in the dry, but also much worse in the wet. As an all around tyre, the F1 (a3 wasn't around back then) is decent... As long as you're not going on track, they'll be a good tyre. I found I couldn't get more than 8,000 out of a set of fronts on my ep3. My worst was 4,500 :|

I've been using middle priced tyres recently on my diesel beater.... dunlop sportmaxx, epic wet weather tyre. Nothing to write home about for dry weather performance but almost no drop in performance in the wet.

Sorry Jim but they do not have a stiff sidewall at all. They are like jelly even when comparing to Pilot Sport 3.

Yeah, I could have phrased that better - relatively stiff compared to normal everyday tyres. I liked them for blasting around back roads, not near the grip limits or under big lateral loads, I don't drive as hard as you I guess!

Yes, there will be a speedo error. But in this case it was only 1.44%, so a little under 1mph error at 60mph.

I think I got one set from Black Circles and one from Camskill.

Appreciate all the input. I think I will go for the F1 A3's this time, but having read more I am now stuck on what tyre size to go for. Weirdly, I noticed that my car has 215/45 on the fronts and the standard 205/45 on the rear. The 215/45's fill the arch gap better and more protection but look a bit funny in comparison. I would rather prefer the standard 205/45 all round.

Anyone offer any advice, 215/40's maybe? still confused and need to get these ordered asap so that I can receive in time and get sorted, cheers all!

I've had my current set of pilot sport 4's on for 10,000 miles and they're only slightly worn on the front inners due to my FRSU. I reckon I'll get at least another 8,000 out of them and my car is a lot heavier than an ep3 :)

Anyone offer any advice, 215/40's maybe? still confused and need to get these ordered asap so that I can receive in time and get sorted, cheers all!

I think from this thread we can conclude that it's personal preference.

I personally really hate the look of stretched tyres, I like them big and meaty. So filling the arch and the look of a wider tyre is a big plus for me. Honestly, it's really not a big difference between those two sizes, the brand/model of tyre will make a far more noticeable difference. It's pretty handy for you to have a direct comparison on your car!

Appreciate all the input. I think I will go for the F1 A3's this time, but having read more I am now stuck on what tyre size to go for. Weirdly, I noticed that my car has 215/45 on the fronts and the standard 205/45 on the rear. The 215/45's fill the arch gap better and more protection but look a bit funny in comparison. I would rather prefer the standard 205/45 all round.

I've gone for 215/40 YOKO AD08's

215/40 was my preferred tyre size on the ep3 OEM alloys. Gives a marginally smaller diameter, but only a negligable difference from 205/45.

Back