• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 UK 5 door Type-S with Type-R head and ECU?

Im trying to find a definite yes or no on this but for months, nothing. Most writeups concern the US K20A3 without VSA or mostly K24 swaps which i have zero interest in doing. In fact if I find another thread that looks to be relevant to my interests, but turns out to be another K24 swap with A2 head, I'll jump in front of a minibus.

My Civic is the UK 5 Door K20A3 VSA. I dont care about the whole VSA, good enough if I have ABS.

Simple question, can I install the A2 head and ECU on my car, go to dealer, reprogram my keys, go for a tune and be done with it? I already have an A2 ECU, plenty heads on ebay, and my engine is in bits top and bottom off due to no oil on the cam lobes which makes it sound like a diesel, already ordered A2 oil pump, perfect timing to drop in an A2 head and fck with the wiring until it works. Maybe gauge cluster too.

Yey or nay?

I had one of these in the past and had a K&N 57i kit on it. It sounded mental for what it was. Quite a capable car as it stands.

To answer your question, yes and no.

You will need it remapping from the off. If you get a UK EP3 Kpro or a A2 ECU with K100 you will be laughing.

The A3 is 12V until VTEC crossover where it becomes 16V, whereas the A2 is 16V constantly. This makes me think, though unconfirmed, that the cam chain and guides would be different on the A3. The chain from the A3 would not be up to the task of the A2 I wouldn't have thought.

The oil pump is definitely different as it has balance shafts in the A3 engine, where the A2 doesn't. I am also sure the A3 pump will also not be able to handle the higher RPM, giving cavitation issues.

The A3 is also lower compression, so you will not get near to the same power of the A2, maybe 180-185ish with a tune.

Personally, either get a K20A3 charger kit from the states and make that fit and remap, or transplant a full K20A2 with 6sp gearbox and remappable ECU into your EV1.

Cheers mate for the quick reply, the A2 pump is already on its way to me, took the A3 pump off to inspect it due to no oil getting on the camshafts, but is pristine inside with spec tolerances, ordered the A2 pump anyay because no balance shafts that weigh a ton. DBW throttle response is already sht, now go delay it further with massive balance shafts on the pump what was honda thinkinh.
The supercharger route is great however dont want insurance to rape me. A whole engine swap might be better I know than just the head, but my block is solid with excellent compression. This is not an argument I know, but the missus has nearly had it with car parts everywhere, might get away with a quick head swap but if she sees the block out shell lose her mind. Thats not to say I wont have a block with crank and pistons ready in the shed for when theres a free weekend.
180 hp is good enough, if it can cost a further say £300 for a used head, will rebuild myself if it needs be...as already have the ecu, the rest is just wiring and programming. A whole engine with gearbox is 5x that, might aswell buy the whole car almost (CTR).
Will def look into that intake, love a bit of raspy racing motor sound.
Was thinking to K100 my A2 ecu. BUT that needs to be done when its all done.
Is the A2 ecu capable of running the A3 instrument panel + ABS? Thats what I need to know.

It should cope with the ABS. Instrument panel I don't know. You could always swap the clocks from a CTR in there.

But after going to all that effort would it not just make more sense to go out and buy a proper type-r ?? with type-r you get all the performance/noise and handling straight out of the box :)

As above, Considering the EP3,s depreciation has hit rock bottom there are some real bargains to be had, to my frustration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But after going to all that effort would it not just make more sense to go out and buy a proper type-r ?? with type-r you get all the performance/noise and handling straight out of the box :)
I know right...
But I need the 5 door for missus and 3.5 year old daughter to have proper access in and out. She finds it undignifying to crawl in the back through the front. Had a 2 door EP1 (1.4 non Vtec) before we had our daughter and she was fine with it, but right after she wanted a 4 door car so I bought the 5 door 1.6 EU8. Still have it and use it while the EV1 is getting fix`d, bought it recently. But soon dissapointed by the DBW mainly, theres a huge throttle lag compared to the DBC EU8. And that makes the more powerful EV1 feel like driving a minibus, not a lightweight car, getting off the line anyway. This is my first DBW car. Have been driving conventional cable throttle cars for exactly 10 years (sent off my licence to dvla for renewal this week, expires on the 16th this month...), and just want my cable operated throttle back...
I was unaware of it, but cable throttle body will be a deciding factor in all my future car purchases, meaning that DBW ones will be weeded out from the get go. Until there are no more drive by cable cars left on the planet. I cannot emphasise how much I hate that DBW ****.

As above, Considering the EP3,s depreciation has hit rock bottom there are some real bargains to be had, to my frustration

I sense they are actually going up in value. Where are you checking for real life prices?

Last edited by a moderator:
The usual sites.
I have a 05 cosmic in great condition with 75k on it, 10 stamps in the book and I would be lucky to get 3.5 4k for it.
Just so many out there.

Just get a Golf GTI or similar if you need 5 doors. Fcuk changing heads and engines and all that jazz, way too much money.

Cheers mate for the quick reply, the A2 pump is already on its way to me, took the A3 pump off to inspect it due to no oil getting on the camshafts, but is pristine inside with spec tolerances, ordered the A2 pump anyay because no balance shafts that weigh a ton. DBW throttle response is already sht, now go delay it further with massive balance shafts on the pump what was honda thinkinh.
The supercharger route is great however dont want insurance to rape me. A whole engine swap might be better I know than just the head, but my block is solid with excellent compression. This is not an argument I know, but the missus has nearly had it with car parts everywhere, might get away with a quick head swap but if she sees the block out shell lose her mind. Thats not to say I wont have a block with crank and pistons ready in the shed for when theres a free weekend.
180 hp is good enough, if it can cost a further say £300 for a used head, will rebuild myself if it needs be...as already have the ecu, the rest is just wiring and programming. A whole engine with gearbox is 5x that, might aswell buy the whole car almost (CTR).
Will def look into that intake, love a bit of raspy racing motor sound.
Was thinking to K100 my A2 ecu. BUT that needs to be done when its all done.
Is the A2 ecu capable of running the A3 instrument panel + ABS? Thats what I need to know.
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Back