• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

UKDM EP3 Mugen Sports Suspension? Best UK Street coilover system?

Hi,

I currently have Tein Super Streets with top mounts and I am looking for a more complaint set-up as mentioned within another post; however I have now stumbled accross these http://www.nengun.co...orts-suspension anyone had any experiance with these for a UKDM EP3 Type R? Albiet they are from the states so theres about £150 postage on them. The Teins are great for smooth road, and if you track the car regularly; however I don't track my Type R and living in country I am constantly on bumpy roads which the Teins actually slow the car down as they can't deal with the road surface.

Although they only drop the car 15mm (some places are saying 25mm) I would ideally like 25-30mm however the spring rates seem perfect for UK roads as they are just slightly stiffer than the standard set up with 5.1Kg Front (Standard 4.6Kg) and 7.9Kg Rear (Standard 7.5kg) and come with all top mounts etc which I would needed as my Tein SS came with top mounts so I no longer have any of the standard top mounts.

I had coilovers on my last civic (VTiS) and changed these back to standard dampers with Eibach Pro springs and these were so much better for UK roads and you could actually go quicker on most B roads - something which coilovers seem to prevent. Ideally I would go for the Eibach Pro-Street S coilover kit as this is a twin spring system which the rates are 6 Kg/m main spring with a 2 Kg/m tender, and the rear is a 9 Kg/m main with a 1 Kg/m tender - which would be a dream set up for UK roads (or the Blistiens PSS are similar) however these require the use of the standard top mounts again (circa £200 from Honda) plus £990 for the kit versus £575 (+£150 Shipping) for the Mugen Sports albeit the Eibach's are height adjustable which would be far better for the a fast road set up. With the Mugen kit I would also get a JDM rear anti-roll car in order to remove some of the rear body roll which the Teins prevent very well.

People have
mentioned BC BR Coilovers are good for the price, with 6kg front / 8kg rear (teins were meant to be 5kg front / 9kg rear but very very crashy), and driftworks have recommended the HSD MonoPros (sounds like their own product they push)but with 9kg front / 12kg rear; however I am skepitcal that they are good for street driving on UK roads due to high spring rates although the valving of the damping does play a large part in the ride anyone else got any ideas?

Also anyone have an idea how my Tein's SS with Top Mounts are worth second hand?

Any advice in the decision wouid be greatly appreciated! Currently running 245bhp, Wavetrac LSD, 215/45/17 Yoko AD08s and getting bounced off roads is starting to **** me off!
Chris

Hi mate I've got the hsd coilovers on my ep3 and there very good quality. I had a set in my old Toyota Altezza and was impressed with them on that so decided on a set for the civic. There well made and have plenty of adjustment aswell. Hsd aren't owened by drifworks but they do have special deals with them. I really can't complain about mine for the money. There a year old now and still look like new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers mate, heard good things about them, just seems like the springs rates are very hard for UK roads! How are they with pot holes etc? My tein superstreets are fine on most normal roads, but pot holes etc are back breaking almost!

Are the Teins progressive springs?

I have a set one of the Eibach Pro spring kits on mine which are progressive, I personally think it's a better ride than standard. If you find springs uncomfortable, I'd steer well clear of coilovers.

The 15/25mm drop claim depends on which car they're aimed at - the EP3 is 10mm lower as standard than the EP2, so fitting the springs on an EP3 will end up in a drop of 15mm and putting them on an EP2 would drop it 25mm.

I am already running the Twin Super Streets, which are great for smooth roads, but not compliant enough for UK roads, all roads that used to be some of my favourite are now UN drivable at speed due to the harshness of the teins which after a while gets a bit tiresome! And looking at the Mugen SS it looks to be the perfect solution for UK roads. If I had standard suspension I probably would opt for the Eibach kit as had it on my VTiS and it was amazing for UK roads, howver buying the standard suspension and the Eibach kit is basically the same cost of the Mugen kit, and my thinking is that with a JDM rear sway and my LSD should be a winning combo for UK roads!

I'm not gonna lie, mine is a very hard ride but then again ive got the car fully polybushed, lowered and the roads where i live are terrible so that doesn't help to be honest. I know its not the same thing so i dont know how much of a comparison it is but when i had my Altezza with the Hsd's fitted it wasn't a bad ride at all and the civic feels much harder with the same suspension setup so im putting it down to the fact ive polybushed everything now which is why it probably feels alot harder.

Yeh, the HSDs are good, however they do have very high spring rates 9/12 compared to the standard 4.4/7.5 which will make the ride stiff, my Tein Super Streets run 5/9 and even those are too stiff for UK roads (albeit smooth ones are great)!

Could be worth a call to a breakers or keep an eye out on the classifieds on here, you see OEM suspension popping up from time to time which goes for peanuts. Then you just need the springs and camber bits and you're away, more money for the LSD fund!

Already have a Wavetrac LSD fitted, hence why getting ****ed off with the suspension set up not dealing with UK roads!

Yeh I have thought that but would want Eibach springs if going standard, and from experience you need new dampers with them, so think it might be best to do it properly once with the Mugens!

Sounds like the mugen setup might be your best bet as like you say coilovers are a bit hard for day to day driving but luckily I don't use my car for work so do very little mileage. The HSD's have got a 16 stage dampening so you have got the option to change how hard or soft you want it.

Back