• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

underbody sealing

Hi all,Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but here goes. Has anybody undersealed there car or waxoiled it. Not sure what protection if any the underbody has,any guidance would be appreciated.thanks carl.

Not waxoiled my EP3 but I used to do my mini every year.

Avoid the aerosol white waxoil, it's not even half as good as the propper black sludge stuff. Buy a 2l tin and the spray applicator. Warm it through in a washing up bowl of hot or boiling water. Add a dash (really, a tiny amount) of paint thinner and mix thoroughly before spraying. Do it ASAP before it gets any colder. Applying waxoil like this in winter is almost impossible. Make sure you've cleaned it (doesn't have to be spotless, just get the crud off) and it's fully dry before you apply it. Leave it 24-48 hours before driving it.

Important: run paint thinner through the spray applicator when you've finished or it'll never work again.

The first thing when I picked my car up was to have a look at the under body rust. After losing an Alfa 156 to rusty sills, I'm not getting caught again. There's little point in putting waxoil onto rust, as it will only hide it, not stop it.

To start with I jacked the rear end up and supported it with axel stands. Using a wire bursh I attacked any obvious bits of rust, the rear towing eye, rear cross member etc. Then once done I gave all visiable rust a coat of Krust, this is supposed to kill the rust and turn it back to metal. Once that had gone off (2-3 hours later) I gave everything I'd coated with Krust a spray with some Metal BBQ paint from B&Q. This is a long lasting, heat resistant direct to metal paint thats also has anti-rust abilities. I actually did two coats, one in black and then the second in silver to match the car.

Then I swapped round the front and repeated. Again the towing eyes, and parts of the sub-frame where the worst offenders.

The next step having treated the rust will be to waxoil it.

Back